• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

WANTED Hand Gonne

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hand Gonne isn't very descriptive about what you want.
The spelling indicates it would be a matchlock but it could be a wheel-lock or a snaphaunce.
Then again, it might be a early flintlock.

Please tell us what kind of gun you want to buy including the caliber if you have a preference.

The type you place on the end of a stick. Something like from the 14th century.
Kits are available from The Rifle Shop.
http://www.therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pages/hand_gonnes/hand_gonnes.htmI built the HakenBusche -
https://photos.app.goo.gl/epNyzATfBJpUCMAv8
snapshot_1.jpg

20210415_215659.jpg

Last edited:
That is sweet looking. I tried contacting the rifle shoppe by email then by phone but no response. I like how the Hakenbushe has the spike built in. Your finish is excellent. What is the load you are banging?

That is sweet looking. I tried contacting the rifle shoppe by email then by phone but no response. I like how the Hakenbushe has the spike built in. Your finish is excellent. What is the load you are banging?
I have shot everything from .735 patched round ball to hemp packed round ball to over powder cards and #7 shot and 9 count of 380 balls. I have loaded with 30-130 grains of 2F and it is all FUN - every time.
I also use a short cannon fuse to give me a few seconds after lighting to aim it. If you just use the touch hole it goes off INSTANTLY- and you better be hanging on!
If you decide to build this - drop me a line. I would love to watch your build!

The stick is called a tiller. We used to have a member here, Freak Forge, who made some very affordable gonnes, but I believe life came along and pushed him in a new direction.
If you have access to a lathe it would be very easy to turn the barrels. Just need to make sure you use the right steel to make it safe.

In my search I did see Freak Forge name come up. I wish he still was in business but that is how it is when life goes in another direction. My last resort is getting one made at a machine shop. Another option is to find a smooth bore barrel with the breech plug installed. Maybe a muzzle loading barrel maker can do it.

FWIW I have the bronze Tannenberg 62-cal ‘hand gonne’ from TRS & couldn’t be happier! Also got it in a week! Keep calling them to check stock, just not on Fridays, as that is their shipping day.

But besides that ... a ‘hand gonne’ and an arquebus or hakenbusch or whatever else one could call it (like Griz44Mag built) ... are NOT the same thing. Hand gonnes evolved to become the arquebus, then a serpentine was added and where it then evolved into the matchlock; chest or cheek-stocked and then full-stocked.

every one should have one of them, including me!! you have created a MONSTER MY FRIEND. KUDDOS TO YA!!

As said before keep trying TRS. I have the steel .75 with the s lever. High quality and shoots great. Surprisingly accurate... While your waiting for you gonne order some 1/4 to 3/8 100% cotton or jute BRAIDED cord and potassium nitrate off amazon to make slow match and find a pen ash or oak 1 1/8 shaft and you will be ready when it arrives.

Attachments

• 78B9548E-DB32-4EDE-A38F-8B2113DDFE15.jpeg
    78B9548E-DB32-4EDE-A38F-8B2113DDFE15.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 84
As said before keep trying TRS. I have the steel .75 with the s lever. High quality and shoots great. Surprisingly accurate... While your waiting for you gonne order some 1/4 to 3/8 100% cotton or jute BRAIDED cord and potassium nitrate off amazon to make slow match and find a pen ash or oak 1 1/8 shaft and you will be ready when it arrives.
TRS also sells the match cord - it's cheap and a lot easier than making it yourself. It burns really slow too!
http://www.therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pages/matchlocks/(933).htm

Back