• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

hammer spring not heavy enough

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check to see if the tumbler or mainspring is binding against the wood in the lock mortice. The lock screw might be drawing the internal parts inward. There might be telltale rub marks on the wood. Remove excess wood with a small chisel if needed. Check the lock for free movement with the lock out of the lock panel. Also, the bridal might be too tight.
These methods will work on a single shot pistol.

Main spring screw down tight? I go just a little better than hand tight. Not blood tight, not green gorilla tight - just tight.

I've had one pistol that I thought the spring was not powerful enough. Turns out that the caps were not firmly down on the nipple, guess the nipples were just a wee bit fat. But using a wooden dowel to push the caps firmly down onto the nipples took care of the problem. And after replacing all 6 nipples, never encountered the "weak spring" problem again. Just a weird batch of springs on that pistol.

If the caps go off on the second strike of the hammer the nipples are too fat for #10s. They aren’t fully seating on the nipple. You can chuck the nipples in a drill and use sandpaper or a file to make the caps fit better, get different nipples, or #11 caps. If they don’t go off on the second strike it might be your spring.

He said it's a Pietta so, the left bolt arm is much too thick, the cam is much too tall so the main spring has to overcome that and still pop a cap! As far as #10 caps . . . which ones? THEY AREN'T THE SAME!!!! #10 Rems. and #10 CCI's aren't anything alike! I have 300 #10 CCI caps and they won't fitt anything that has ever come into the shop!! They are way to small to fit anything . . .

Here's a hint. #10 Rems, and CCI #11's and RWS # 1075' are comparable.

Mike

He said it's a Pietta so, the left bolt arm is much too thick, the cam is much too tall so the main spring has to overcome that and still pop a cap! As far as #10 caps . . . which ones? THEY AREN'T THE SAME!!!! #10 Rems. and #10 CCI's aren't anything alike! I have 300 #10 CCI caps and they won't fitt anything that has ever come into the shop!! They are way to small to fit anything . . .

Here's a hint. #10 Rems, and CCI #11's and RWS # 1075' are comparable.

Mike
hey mike , need you to tune this up for me if you have time let me know

Imagine if the modern ammo primers that the new-fanggeled (sp.?) modern ammo reloaders use were that inconsistent, just sayin'. These are all good information comments you guys have made, thanks.

Back