• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hammer hitting frame?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Miller

32 Cal
Reaction score
Just got a Uberti 1858 target model and noticed that when the hammer is dropped it strikes the frame unless held to the right. It's loose enough it doesn't require much pressure.

The hammer has not been dropped, by me, anyway...shim it??
You can see where it's hitting on the left side...little dimple. Didn't really want it to damage to frame any further.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20200515_181913.jpg
    IMG_20200515_181913.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 112
That's common to every Uberti '58 I've seen. You can shim it to the right if you wish though it doesn't rub enough to slow the hammer fall. Make a washer of brass to go round the hammer screw and small enough to clear the internals. I've shimmed a couple and while it does move the cam to the right I have never noticed any effect on timing. Be sure after shimming that the nose of the hammer doesn't hit the right side of the frame opening.

That's common to every Uberti '58 I've seen. You can shim it to the right if you wish though it doesn't rub enough to slow the hammer fall. Make a washer of brass to go round the hammer screw and small enough to clear the internals. I've shimmed a couple and while it does move the cam to the right I have never noticed any effect on timing. Be sure after shimming that the nose of the hammer doesn't hit the right side of the frame opening.
Thanks!
I just found a source for shims if that doesn't work. Miscellaneous Shims
toward the bottom of the page.
I'll try your suggestion first.
Appreciate it.

The hammer is supposed to hit the frame not only on the Remington but on the Colts too.
The hammer on these cap and ball revolvers should never make contact with the nipples.

Guessing divot left of hammer circled in red is what you are referring to? Also appears to be a lot of burrs on the frame that could use some stoning (circled in yellow). Might want to take care of when you add the shims for the hammer play.
F59CDC25-6058-4B04-8DF8-E21E13E0CDB3.jpeg

The shoulders on the hammer are supposed to come to rest on the shoulder seats shown in the frame. The nose should not contact the sides of the pass through more than just a brush. The hole through the hammer may be to large or the screw to small of diameter. If it's the hammer hole it can be bushed to the proper screw diameter or if a small screw diameter a new larger one can easily be lathe turned and threaded.
Both of those dings shown need cleaned up!

Guessing divot left of hammer circled in red is what you are referring to? Also appears to be a lot of burrs on the frame that could use some stoning (circled in yellow). Might want to take care of when you add the shims for the hammer play.View attachment 31415
Yes, the red circle. Brand new gun...
I'll address both issues before I attempt to shoot it.
Hadn't even noticed the other, thanks for the heads up. Probably ought to take it completely down and see if anything else is going on...in good light. ;-)

Latest posts

Back