• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hammer Gadget

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea of what the gadget on the hammer of this T/C renegade is for?

pix536711486.jpg

pix841775111.jpg

I have never seen one before but it looks designed to be able to prime the pan with the steel (frizzen) closed. There is a hole in the steel that would be right over the pan when closed - does the little lever-like round rod open a valve in the device to allow a priming charge to drop into the pan?

Possibly to keep the priming charge dry in a sealed enclosure until ready for the shot? Lift the lever to drop the prime, then pull the trigger.

I believe that it's to allow priming for a fast second shot while hunting.
I agree with Hawkeye. The lever looks like an opening and closing gate. The cylinder looks like a reservoir to hold a certain amount of priming powder with maybe a spring loaded plunger that can push the powder into the pan by thumb force?

Sort of nifty if that’s what it is?

Respectfully, Cowboy

Interesting, but I would think it adds too much weight to the frizzen to be effective for long frizzen life. The weight will make it difficult for the hammer and flint to drive the frizzen to the rest position. I would expect excessive flint wear and flint breakage.

Interesting, but I would think it adds too much weight to the frizzen to be effective for long frizzen life. The weight will make it difficult for the hammer and flint to drive the frizzen to the rest position. I would expect excessive flint wear and flint breakage.

Once again, Gren. ye took the words right out of my mouth. Howdjaknow what I was going to say? For the original poster, heed those words. I suggest you purchase a replacement frizzen and forget that monstrosity.

Self charging gizmos like that have been around for a long time. The Collins Revolving flintlocks and the Lorenzoni lever action flintlocks are a couple of examples.

The problem with these self-charging systems is that the fire from the flash has a way of working its' way in to the powder reservoir and blowing it apart. That's less of a problem with the pan fore than the chamber though, as the pan fire isn't under nearly as much pressure

How could one be absolutely certain that the gadget actually dropped a charge into the pan without lifting the frizzen and looking? I'd bet that Dan'l would not use one.

That flint to percussion conversion unit is interesting. Ugly, but interesting. It looks like it's a 1-off deal, and probably needs musket caps to generate enough gas volume to be reliable. I'd be interested to see how prone to fouling it would be.

It looks like it's a 1-off deal, and probably needs musket caps to generate enough gas volume to be reliable..

I don't think so, look, it has a priming hole on top. It still operates like a flintlock, it just uses a cap for the sparks instead of a flint.

That flint to percussion conversion unit is interesting. Ugly, but interesting. It looks like it's a 1-off deal, and probably needs musket caps to generate enough gas volume to be reliable. I'd be interested to see how prone to fouling it would be.
Nope, not a one-off deal. Patenting and available for less than $60 shipped. 50 sold.
upload_2020-2-12_17-23-48.jpeg

Latest posts

Back