• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hammer Cam Replacement

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was fiddling with my pietta today and I noticed when I put revolver in half cock the barrel would not rotate. It basically stock except for the nipples. The bolt appears to be hanging up. Disassemble and noticed a small gouge in the cam on the trigger. I’m no expert on these but I think the cam has everything to do with timing? If the cam and the bolt fingers are not right you get what I have an improperly timed revolver. So I went on the Taylor website the hammer is on back order. I noticed in the description it lists all the parts the hammer is comprised of. Item 18 is the hammer assembly and item 56 is the cam. The cam is on back order as well. Great. Anyway over the years of shooting these things I have replaced the hammers because the cams wore out they are obviously not heat treated properly and subject to wear or damage. I don’t know this gun fairly new few dozen shots and my only Pietta. Which I will say surprisingly out of the box was timed properly. So my question is has anyone replaced just the cam it apparently is pressed in but you never know because it must be case hardened as an assembly? Any ideas or recommendations?
Thanks
Joe

I had this problem and here is wher I dealt with it if it helps.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/cylinder-locked-pietta-1860-army.140861/I have no idea as to whether the cam is hardened or not but it is pressed in. I simply pressed mine back into place and it has worked ok so far. Not many round thru it yet though.
This one is new to who knows you may have inspired me to buy it. It’s a nice BP pistol balance nicely and it was working fine. This is my first Pietta generally all the Uberties I had to hone and hone some more. Then play with the paws on the bolt to get them to engage the cam just right. But even still as I used them the cams would wear away. It was not until today I discovered that is a replaceable part only back order and I even wonder why the trouble when you can buy a complete trigger assembly -trigger cam and roller. I found a shop pn the web and being i his discription of what they do is harden the cam! I’m going to call them Monday they are closed tomorrow Saturday. The shops name is Longhuntter out of Texas. They built me two slicked up 1873s one in 44-40 the other in 45LC. Short stroked with all the good after market parts fun fun

Doubt that your problem is with the cam on the hammer. It is hardened but even if not gets very little wear from cycling the action. Most likely your problem is with a weak or fractured bolt leg that rides on the cam.

Doubt that your problem is with the cam on the hammer. It is hardened but even if not gets very little wear from cycling the action. Most likely your problem is with a weak or fractured bolt leg that rides on the cam.
The cam has a distinct gouge from where the bolt lever would slide up. So I agree that arm is a bit lose. Last night I gently tried to adjust it but the bolt was hardened and that finger snapped off. Surprise I have done this before on all my other Colts which were not brittle. Next time when shinny like this one I’ll heat it first.
The cam is soft i was reading some cowboy shooters articles who replace them with a hardened cam. I’m going to have them repair it and anything else it needs though not much because it did work and lock up perfectly for the few times I used it. I did order s new bolt from VTI because they are close but more expensive than Taylors. The article I read last suggests some cams can be soft. That what I wanted to know I’ll let them fix it. Otherwise I can be waiting months on a back order for a hammer and or cam from Taylor. I think the hammer was back ordered at VtI there’s a message in that other than cutting the sight to deap why ever need a replacement hammer.

The cam has a distinct gouge from where the bolt lever would slide up. So I agree that arm is a bit lose. Last night I gently tried to adjust it but the bolt was hardened and that finger snapped off. Surprise I have done this before on all my other Colts which were not brittle. Next time when shinny like this one I’ll heat it first.
The cam is soft i was reading some cowboy shooters articles who replace them with a hardened cam. I’m going to have them repair it and anything else it needs though not much because it did work and lock up perfectly for the few times I used it. I did order s new bolt from VTI because they are close but more expensive than Taylors. The article I read last suggests some cams can be soft. That what I wanted to know I’ll let them fix it. Otherwise I can be waiting months on a back order for a hammer and or cam from Taylor. I think the hammer was back ordered at VtI there’s a message in that other than cutting the sight to deap why ever need a replacement hammer.
You have found the problem. The bolt is tempered to a spring temper after hardening. Making a mild adjustment would not snap it off unless otherwise already fractured. Your hammer cam is not the problem and you can carefully file and polish off the gouge on the slope which is soft and will be soft on any cam you get. The reason is the cam is installed prior to the hammer being case hardened. The slope which deflects the bolt leg when the hammer falls is ground in after hardening and will have removed the case shell. It does not need to be hard as all it does is deflect the bolt leg and if it were hardened it would unduly wear the bolt leg. The cam is still hard on the top where the bolt rides when the weapon is cocked. Just fit the new bolt and you will be good to go.

You have found the problem. The bolt is tempered to a spring temper after hardening. Making a mild adjustment would not snap it off unless otherwise already fractured. Your hammer cam is not the problem and you can carefully file and polish off the gouge on the slope which is soft and will be soft on any cam you get. The reason is the cam is installed prior to the hammer being case hardened. The slope which deflects the bolt leg when the hammer falls is ground in after hardening and will have removed the case shell. It does not need to be hard as all it does is deflect the bolt leg and if it were hardened it would unduly wear the bolt leg. The cam is still hard on the top where the bolt rides when the weapon is cocked. Just fit the new bolt and you will be good to go.
Yes it was brittle hard it was also polished in appearance others i have in my Uberties are dull grey or black with give. I’ll try it.
Thank you!
Joe

Back