• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hammer blowback

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deandeib

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hi Guys. New member here. I have a T/C 32 Cherokee and getting hammer blowback to the half cock position after each shot. Using 32g FFFg with a patched round ball. I suspect this is not helping accuracy since I'm all over the place at 50 yd. The rifle is in excellent condition with probably not more than 50 rnds fired. Any insight toward a fix would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks.

Buy a new nipple and get some number drills from Harbor Freight. Try different size drills until you found the smallest that won’t slide in the flash hole. That’ll be your gauge.

Well the grain per calibre might not be quite what you need . I shoot a 290 cal rifle with a whole 15 grains never blows back( as its flint! ).Perhaps examine the nipple might be too big a vent if so get one with a small vent that should fix it or your main spring might be a wet lettice ? That wont do .. I've NO idea what your factory gun is but others will surely know your in the right camp .
Rudyard

Hi Guys. New member here. I have a T/C 32 Cherokee and getting hammer blowback to the half cock position after each shot. Using 32g FFFg with a patched round ball. I suspect this is not helping accuracy since I'm all over the place at 50 yd. The rifle is in excellent condition with probably not more than 50 rnds fired. Any insight toward a fix would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks.
Time to replace nipple. You can get a numbered drill set to check size, but you will still need a new nipple. The the new Cherokee nipples I have measured were in the .028” to .030” range. For what it is worth, have not had a 32 caliber TC go to half cock with a much heavier load while using a nipple with a .035” orifice.

Without a numbered drill set available, best I can determine is that the nipple has an orifice somewhere between .032" and .039". I'll try a new nipple. Just curious SDSmlf, what were those "much heavier" 32 loads you used that did not cause blowback? Thanks

Without a numbered drill set available, best I can determine is that the nipple has an orifice somewhere between .032" and .039". I'll try a new nipple. Just curious SDSmlf, what were those "much heavier" 32 loads you used that did not cause blowback? Thanks
TC manual states 50 grains of 3F under a patched round ball or a Maxiball in their 32 caliber rifles as a max load. Have exceeded max load on experimental basis with both and only continued increasing group size and fouling. Never had hammer blowback to half cock. Ultimately settled on 12 to 15 grains of 3F Swiss under patched 1-1/2 buckshot in my 32s. Sighted in an inch or so high at 25 yards and will only be an inch or so low at 50 yards. Found I rarely shot past 35 yards with my 32s and the squirrels around here are not that tough. Paper is even easier to punch holes in. Accuracy and ease of loading dictated my optimum load.

Very interesting. What is "3F Swiss"? 12 -15 grains sounds low but if it's doing the job and probably less fowling, why not? I'm hoping a new nipple solves my problem.

Very interesting. What is "3F Swiss"? 12 -15 grains sounds low but if it's doing the job and probably less fowling, why not? I'm hoping a new nipple solves my problem.
You are all over the place with 32 grains of 3F and requested advice.
I'm all over the place at 50 yd.
Just letting you know what works for me. What powder are you using?

FYI, 12 -15 grains of 3F Swiss under a 45-47 grain round ball is low if you consider a hot 22 RF low. Swiss is a blackpowder brand, 3F is a granulation.
1606709379035.jpeg

Change the nipple and go from there. A worn nipple can both blow back the hammer and increase group size.
I'd recommend a Treso/Ampco nipple. They hold up very well and have about a .028" flash hole.

Sound like a nipple issue to me. One grain per caliber is usually my starting load for any caliber rifle I’ve owned. . 35 grains fffg is the charge I use in my .36 caliber rifle. TC locks usually have plenty of main spring power. BJH

I too shoot 15-20 grains of fffg Goex in my 32 Traditions. Part of it is I don't plan on using it long range anyway and it is mostly small game or squirrel hunting so long shots are not common. Also that little 32 caliber pill will blow off course with only a little side wind so no need to try for 100 yards unless just having fun on targets.

Latest posts

Back