Quantcast

Halfcock?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Half-Cocked

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Oh...Poncho. Maybe we just you "Stubby"...
View attachment 40336
my my how times have changed. So Innocent yet so wrong!

No sir I am a firm believer in senor Juan Maria “Half-Cocked” Sanchez.

he even has a backstory.

When he was a child he witnessed the Mexican Texas war. later in his mid-20s he joined the confederacy as he lived in Texas. However Half-Cocked did not like to follow orders. So towards the end of the Civil War he abandoned his post. Later in life post Civil War still living in Texas Juan decided he would help drive cattle up north becoming a skilled Cattle rancher or vanquero!

I got my cover story all figured out.

Rudyard

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Vanquero or' Vacero' ?. The V pronounced as a B in Spanish ( Vaca is a cow)=' Baceros;' went to' Buggaroos' at least in Yorkshire.
Rudyard being whimsical

Half-Cocked

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I made a mistake it is vaquero not vanquero. I know everyone says the VA part is for vaca meaning cow and the quero.

But what if it's more like vamos quiero? As is "we want to go"?

Maybe a play on words. Spanish is full of them.

Last edited:

Notchy Bob

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Half Cocked,

Regarding the term, vaquero: Vaca is indeed the Spanish term for "cow." The suffix, "-ero" refers to "a person who makes, sells, or is in charge of" something. For example, libro means "book," and a librero is a "bookseller." Zapata means "shoe," so a zapatero is a "shoemaker." Therefore, a vaquero is one who works with cows. The hard "c" in vaca changes to "qu" in order to preserve the same phonetic characteristics (a voiceless velar stop, if you want to get technical). If you spelled it "Vacero" it would come out sounding like "va-SAIR-o."

Anyway, all of this discussion has been fun, and you need to know you are welcome here, but this forum is mainly concerned with shooting muzzleloaders in the time period prior to and including the War Between the States. It sounds as if your area and time period of interest is really later than that, in the western cowboy/vaquero/cattle drive era. You might feel more at home, and meet more kindred spirits, on some of the other forums. Nobody is "running you off"... I would daresay most of us visit multiple forums.

I would suggest stopping by the CAS City Forum. Browse through the different sub-headings and jump in, wherever it pleases you. You should find plenty of people with similar interests. Another might be the SASS Wire Forum, but this may be exclusively for members of the Single Action Shooting Society (SASS), so you might have to join the organization to participate in the forum. I'm not sure of that. In joining SASS, you also register your "alias." In their "Alias Look-Up" database, I found hyphenated Half-Cocked Carlos and Half-Cocked Joe, and non-hyphenated Half Cocked Cayuse and Half Cocked Curt, as well as a Half Cock Kaylee, but no plain old "Half Cock(ed)," so you may be able to register with the name, or "alias," which you have already chosen.

SASS is probably the biggest name in sponsoring competitive shooting with cowboy-style guns, but if you really want to develop a "persona" and use more authentic equipment, I would steer you toward the National Congress of Old West Shootists, or NCOWS, which has more of a reenactor-based focus.

Again, you are welcome here and nobody is trying to send you away. Its just that some of the other forums may be more in line with your area of interest, and should be worth a look.

Best of luck to you!

Notchy Bob

Rudyard

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Dear Treestalker "Done I know you from some place ?'' Treasure of Sierra Madre
.In fun Regards Rudyard

Half-Cocked

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Half Cocked,

Regarding the term, vaquero: Vaca is indeed the Spanish term for "cow." The suffix, "-ero" refers to "a person who makes, sells, or is in charge of" something. For example, libro means "book," and a librero is a "bookseller." Zapata means "shoe," so a zapatero is a "shoemaker." Therefore, a vaquero is one who works with cows. The hard "c" in vaca changes to "qu" in order to preserve the same phonetic characteristics (a voiceless velar stop, if you want to get technical). If you spelled it "Vacero" it would come out sounding like "va-SAIR-o."

Anyway, all of this discussion has been fun, and you need to know you are welcome here, but this forum is mainly concerned with shooting muzzleloaders in the time period prior to and including the War Between the States. It sounds as if your area and time period of interest is really later than that, in the western cowboy/vaquero/cattle drive era. You might feel more at home, and meet more kindred spirits, on some of the other forums. Nobody is "running you off"... I would daresay most of us visit multiple forums.

I would suggest stopping by the CAS City Forum. Browse through the different sub-headings and jump in, wherever it pleases you. You should find plenty of people with similar interests. Another might be the SASS Wire Forum, but this may be exclusively for members of the Single Action Shooting Society (SASS), so you might have to join the organization to participate in the forum. I'm not sure of that. In joining SASS, you also register your "alias." In their "Alias Look-Up" database, I found hyphenated Half-Cocked Carlos and Half-Cocked Joe, and non-hyphenated Half Cocked Cayuse and Half Cocked Curt, as well as a Half Cock Kaylee, but no plain old "Half Cock(ed)," so you may be able to register with the name, or "alias," which you have already chosen.

SASS is probably the biggest name in sponsoring competitive shooting with cowboy-style guns, but if you really want to develop a "persona" and use more authentic equipment, I would steer you toward the National Congress of Old West Shootists, or NCOWS, which has more of a reenactor-based focus.

Again, you are welcome here and nobody is trying to send you away. Its just that some of the other forums may be more in line with your area of interest, and should be worth a look.

Best of luck to you!

Notchy Bob
thank you for the resources. I have heard of some of them in SASS I found the north south skirmish association fascinating Because it was actual shooting competition.

I am a lover of history including colonial and civil war period including reconstruction.

my favorite period would actually be WW2 I have yet to see aReenactment of that as dressing like an ss solider is probably frowned upon.

This fictional character is more the feasibility of someone’s lifetime rather than a love for post civil war. If it makes the character more forum period correct reflect on His youth when he was involved in the cw fighting with the confederacy.

it should also be noted that I have a love for weapons history from catapult to fire sticks and modern arms. I originally came because I hade purchased an 1851 colt navy (which fires like a dream btw 0 cap jams).

I also plan on later purchasing some flint lock rifles but that really is beside the point.

Anyway if this post doesn’t quite make sense I apologize it has been a traumatic day for me due to some personal issues.

I did manage to go out to the range today which was nice minus the idiot in the next both who refused to shot his .45 acp seated so his shells kept bouncing of the top of my head. He seemed to be more interested in talking politics than shooting too.

But that wasn’t my main issue or the point if this post.

Latest posts