• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Half-stock Barrel Ribs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN L. HINNANT

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings All,

Does anybody know where I can get a longer than 24 inch barrel rib for a 1-1/8" barrel? Am building a heavy 42"barrel Hawken for "chunk gun" and "X- stick" shooting.

A standard 24" rib is just too short. Makes the stock fore-arm too long and out of proportion to rest of the stock.

Thanks and best regards, John L. Hinnant

If you cannot find a rib long enough for your application do not dispair. Wooden ribs were common in the old days and acceptable as "traditional" on a chumk gun. I have used several for just such situations as you mention.

I usually plan these moves in advance and obtain stock blanks from companies that include the slab they saw off of the barrel channel as a reinforcement strip for shipping. That way my rib is from wood that matches the stock in curl or stain absorption.

You may also consider stopping the rib well short of the muzzle, leaving a "flat" for the barrel to rest on the chunk. The rules only say that a gun must be fitted for a ramrod, not that it has to be present while the shot is fired. Many of the full stock guns have wide flat areas at the fore end just for this purpose.

Many of the origional chunk guns from my neck of the woods started life as 3/4 stock guns. That pattern was popular in the TN hill country, though not coppied by the repro builders. They were made just like a half stock, except that the rib was only in the last 12" or so of a 44" barrel.

You have lots of options, and your gun dosen't have to look just like the next fellow's gun to shoot well or fit the rules.

:m2c:

John,

Try, www.trackofthewolf.com

They have a 32" - under rib for the 1 1/8" barrel. I think it's about $25.00 dollars? Anyway, go to Gun Parts, then to, Under Ribs. You'll find them. :thumbsup:

John,

One other thing. If your planning to use this rifle for cross stick competition you may want to keep in mind that the weight limit is 14 pounds for the NMLRA Buffalo Cross Stick Match. Muzzle Loading Clubs usually uphold this rule, but that is not to say all do. If the National Shoot's are in your thoughts, the weight of the rifle should be considered. There is no weight limit on the Chunk Gun. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Greetings ghost, Donny, Ohio Joe,

Thanks for your suggestions, and my apologies for not getting back to you guys sooner.

Ohio, I did find the long 32" inch rib at TOW. Thanks.

I am a long time Hawken fan, ML hunter, and competition shooter. My latest Hawken project is to replicate one of the long 42-44 inch barrel Hawken rifles. Some of the original's were obviously for target shooting, but others were for hunting. Anybody that could handle one of those rifles with a 42-44 inch barrel 1-1/8 to 1-3/16's inch across the flats for hunting, was some kind of a man.

My rifle will be used primarily for X-Sticks shooting. figure if I just miss the 14# limit, then I will remove the rib and put it back on for "chunk gun" shooting.

Anyway, that is my plan.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions.

Best regards, John L. Hinnant

Latest posts

Back