• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Half Stock 20 ga Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is the start of my second flintlock from a blank. Made the hooked breech tang from a piece of angle iron, since I could find one available like I wanted. This was the worst part, lots of filing. Barrel is inlet and the under rib, thimbles and sight soldered on, and the ramrod hole drilled. Put some cold blue paste on, so I could see any excess solder that needed sanding off. Not sure how you keep solder on a round barrel from going everywhere, but it came off fairly easy. tempImagejmWxQH.pngtempImageIePG4I.pngtempImage306idZ.pngtempImageK1wipK.png

Looks nice! For solder, I try to limit where the flux gets to then get the excess off with sandpaper and right up against the feature I'll use a graver to cut it away so it doesn't show.

All the major parts are inlet. Had to modify a trigger guard by cutting off the front finial on an English trigger guard and adding a 1/4-28 stud to attach it to my trigger plate. A lot more shaping, filing and sanding to go.

and adding a 1/4-28 studtempImagevhJbMR.png to attach it to my trigger plate. A lot more shaping, filing and sanding to go.

Got most of the metal work finished and browned. Still have to polish the lock up. Pretty happy how the barrel came out. Sanded down to 600 grit and browned with Dangler's browning solution. Came out a nice redish brown almost translucent looking. I tried taking a picture, but it just doesn't show up good. I followed Dave's method on the stock; died with black and sanded off, died yellow and sanded ( did this several times raising the grain) and left a final coat on. Then died with a very diluted coat of LMF Cherry stain. I have been applying Chambers Finish. May need one more coat. Will see after it cures. I am really happy with the color.tempImagebHTtIb.pngtempImageSNQ2E4.png

This is the start of my second flintlock from a blank. Made the hooked breech tang from a piece of angle iron, since I could find one available like I wanted. This was the worst part, lots of filing. Barrel is inlet and the under rib, thimbles and sight soldered on, and the ramrod hole drilled. Put some cold blue paste on, so I could see any excess solder that needed sanding off. Not sure how you keep solder on a round barrel from going everywhere, but it came off fairly easy.View attachment 126767View attachment 126768View attachment 126769View attachment 126770

Full-length profile photo?

Got it all put together. Plan to add some checkering on the wrist, depending on how my practice piece goes. Plus I want to let the finish cure for a few weeks. Hopefully I'll have some better pictures then. (The pictures got rotated when I posted them and not sure how to fix that.)
tempImageC0i3dC.pngtempImageFSJHqZ.pngtempImage7ADHO0.pngtempImagetMyLD5.png

There are solder sticks available. The are a waxy kind of chalk and used to limit the ‘travel’ of solder. They work fine. I bought some from Brownells,
wow, many years ago now I guess. They should be findable on the net.

Latest posts

Back