• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Half cock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Maybe my brain is tired but I always remember single action revolver cylinders are free wheeling at half cock which is second click out of 3 clicks.
My 1860 is free wheeling on first click and really no click at all, you just have to pull hammer back a bit and feel the cylinder. What is wrong here?

While I am asking questions what are some ways to slick up the action? I remember my dad's fast draw guns cylinders use to spin like ball bearings and when you spun them they went zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. What is the path to make that happen.

Last edited:
Maybe my brain is tired but I always remember single action revolver cylinders are free wheeling at half cock which is second click out of 3 clicks.
My 1860 is free wheeling on first click and really no click at all, you just have to pull hammer back a bit and feel the cylinder. What is wrong here?

While I am asking questions what are some ways to slick up the action? I remember my dad's fast draw guns cylinders use to spin like ball bearings and when you spun them they went zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. What is the path to make that happen.
Have you checked out Goons gun works? He does action jobs on Colt platform revolvers.

The 1860 Colt is a "three click" gun, and half-cock (and the freewheel) happens on the first click.

You get an 1873 SAA with a safety cock (a classic four-click model) and the first click is that safety while half-cock happens on the second.

As to Hollywood-style roulette, that may have something to do with the cylinder spinning on a spindle rather than the thick arbor of an open-frame revolver.

Back