• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Half cock question,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdw276

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So on several of my firearms, predominately percussion, the half cock engages but only say 1/2" above the nipple. Same can be said for flintlocks above the pan but on fewer of my guns.

1/2" above the nipple makes it impossible for me to get my capper under it to cap the gun. So I pull to full cock and place cap on the nipple. This is all done on the firing line. Then I work the set trigger and prepare to fire.

So my question is two parts, others same issue and handle it the same as I described? Is there anyway to adjust the half cock position to create more distance between the hammer face and nipple to make it easier to install the cap?

Been many a year since I spent much time with nipple huggers in the tall timber. But….
You want the hammer close to protect the nipple with the cap on while walking, at the same time on hall cock for safety
Fully cock and cap. While pointed in safe direction hold the hammer and disengage letting it down softly on the cap. Leave go of the thumb piece so full pressure of spring is on cap.
Still pointed in safe direction pull to half cock.
You cap is solidly on nipple and the cap notch of the hammer surrounds it protecting it but still off the cap and your ready to cock and shoot, yet your cap is unlikely to get knocked off by routine movements as you maneuver through the bush.

Back