• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

hair trigger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
how can you go about making the trigger a little heaver.. the trigger on my older model deer stalker is hair trigger about 1lb... the one on my 50 cal is ok thanks michael

If you don't have the manual, look on line. You should be able to download a manual and/or the instructions on adjusting weight of pull. Better yet, take it to a gunsmith.

You can install a stronger sear spring or shorten the one you have or put a piece of leather in the V of the spring to make more tension. You can also move the trigger forward to make a harder pull. If the lock has a sear depth screw you could back it out some. I would also look at the angle of the full cock notch and sear engagement.. It should be 90deg. to the radius of the tumbler. It doesn't hurt to look , but don't mess with the angles if you are unsure of doing it. Could make it worse.

You can install a stronger sear spring or shorten the one you have or put a piece of leather in the V of the spring to make more tension. You can also move the trigger forward to make a harder pull. If the lock has a sear depth screw you could back it out some. I would also look at the angle of the full cock notch and sear engagement.. It should be 90deg. to the radius of the tumbler. It doesn't hurt to look , but don't mess with the angles if you are unsure of doing it. Could make it worse.
how can you go about putting a piece of leather in the V of the spring??? dont see anything about adjusting the trigger on the deer stalker...

Take a piece of thick or folded leather and wedge it tightly in the V of the spring. I guess, theoretically, you could put a dab of epoxy or JB Weld in the V and do do the same thing. The leather might fall out. Anything to make the spring push harder on the sear. Just looking at the pictures of the rifle, a double set trigger could be more of a project than it is worth. The guard bow could get pretty crowded. Before doing that I would pull the trigger and see if I could drill another hole for the trigger to move it forward a bit, but there is no way to predict how far to move it to get the desired pull.
A lot depends on the OPs mechanical ability and/or motivation to learn. I have read some comments on here where people have never removed the lock on a rifle they have had for years.

Last edited:
You cannot fix it until you figure out what the problem is. The trigger pull should not be that light. Something is wrong. Adjusting springs will do nothing if the springs are not the problem. Most likely the sear spring is fine. A light sear spring is not going to get you a 1 pound trigger. Sear and tumbler not fitting together properly will. Check the fit and angles on those. If it is good, then the problem is likely how the trigger fits with the sear or something in the lock is making contact with the wood. Or it could be something totally different. Need to figure out what is wrong before you can fix it.

how can you go about making the trigger a little heaver.. the trigger on my older model deer stalker is hair trigger about 1lb... the one on my 50 cal is ok thanks michael

Can you post a photo of the interior of the lock at half cock and full cock? We may see something that is causing the problem.

Gus

i will take a pic later i put the sear spring from my great plains in it .. about 4lbs hopeful that will fix it..

I wasn't thinking percussion lock. May not have a trigger spring. I should have said sear spring. Heavier sear spring.

pictures first picture is half cock second one is full cock

Attachments

• 20201027_180444.jpg
    20201027_180444.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 20201027_180456.jpg
    20201027_180456.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 83
We really need a close up picture of the inside of the lock, sear, tumbler in relation to each other. There is a possibility the trigger guard is seated too deep, pressing on the sear lever. Try shimming it out with layers of card stock and don't tighten the screws too tight just snug.

Back