• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hail the Skychief load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried the Skychief load last weekend, just a couple shots out of my 46" 16ga cylinder bore. I loaded 80gr's of 2ff, over powder card, 90gr's #5 shot, over shot card. Olive oil soaked fiber wad. This was the results at 25yd's. I'll try other loads this weekend.

turkey-load.jpg

Looks to me like that would be one mighty dead turkey. :)

Try it at a range of 35 yards or so if you can. It's out at the longer ranges that Skychief's "oiled fiber wad over the shot" loads really start separating the men from the boys (or should I say, separating the iffy patterns from the WOW patterns.

I experimented with the Skychief load yesterday with my 20 gauge smoothbore fowler. I did not get excellent results. Not much different with or without the wad. More experimentation will be required. I'm limited to 21 yards with the patterns I'm getting now.

ADK -- is your barrel jug choked or cylinder bore? My 20 is jug choked and the load does not provide any better pattern. I am still trying to play with it but so far no improvement.

Dave

I experimented with the Skychief load yesterday with my 20 gauge smoothbore fowler. I did not get excellent results. Not much different with or without the wad. More experimentation will be required. I'm limited to 21 yards with the patterns I'm getting now.
21yards! Something seems amiss there bud.

Great info everyone. Who is a good smith to have my 20 gauge northstar jug choked by. About what does it cost? I wouldn’t want to send it out until June. Need it to hunt with in may

Back