• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hail the skychef load, again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have never tried the sky chief load in my 20 ga Gustomsky trade gun. I was thinking about trying to kill a squirrel with it, before I tried this load it wouldn't kill a squirrel at 10 yards, the pattern was that bad.

I loaded it with an oz of shot first and 75gr of 1F, I could tell I was on to something.

Next I shot the same powder load, 1 1/4 oz of #6 and an olive oil soaked fiber wad. Dang this shot almost as good as my jug choked 12. The distance was 20 yards. I noticed when got the gun it shot a ball to the left, I was aiming at the center crease and the shot pattern was to the left as well. I only tried this one load, I believe I could tinker with the load and bend the barrel and do much better.

skychief 20.JPG

I have never tried the sky chief load in my 20 ga Gustomsky trade gun. I was thinking about trying to kill a squirrel with it, before I tried this load it wouldn't kill a squirrel at 10 yards, the pattern was that bad.

I loaded it with an oz of shot first and 75gr of 1F, I could tell I was on to something.

Next I shot the same powder load, 1 1/4 oz of #6 and an olive oil soaked fiber wad. Dang this shot almost as good as my jug choked 12. The distance was 20 yards. I noticed when got the gun it shot a ball to the left, I was aiming at the center crease and the shot pattern was to the left as well. I only tried this one load, I believe I could tinker with the load and bend the barrel and do much better.

View attachment 19600
How long is the barrel on your gun, mine is 36”.

Eric. If you bevel the crown as you look at it on the right side, front sight up, more than it all ready is on the left the pattern will shift to the right.
I have done it several times.

I totally agree, some of the best made English guns are regulated this way. We're only talking about a few thousands of an inch, not taking a hacksaw to it

Eric. If you bevel the crown as you look at it on the right side, front sight up, more than it all ready is on the left the pattern will shift to the right.
I have done it several times.

B.

So, are you saying you bevel the side of the barrel you want to move the pattern toward?

Has no one ever twigged why those old rifle muzzles are all filed fancy ??

No CNC parting a barrel off back then!
The builder dressed the muzzle best he could after cutting and then made it look pretty.
The thing is it was not just for decoration. The shot could be trimmed to centered sights some with all but an extra undetectable file stroke.

For most of us, it should be less of a noticeable bevel as a curved radius from the muzzle into the barrel. For most it is accomplished without special tools by using a good grade of cloth backed metal cutting emory cloth of modest grit 300 to 400. You use your thumb or finger depending on bore diameter. Just gently sand and rotate the barrel until the crown transitions smoothly from the muzzle into the bore. You are looking to eliminate any sharp edges.

Great info here guys. When you say bevel, does this mean lightly filing or emerying the inside of the crown?
Eric, glad you found a good load.
Yes. Just do it more so directly opposite the direction you wish Bill.
With thin walled shotgun muzzles you can file across the bore so as to shorten the barrel by a tiny amount, the shortend portion again being directly opposite the direction you want.

Latest posts

Back