• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Haggis Day

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve tasted several blood sausages and black pudding, along with Asian blood sauces.
Done a lot of strange meals, and ‘weird stuff’ never got a taste for blood.
I don’t care for liver or or gizzards. I get a similar taste from blood.
But save me seconds of tge bubble and Squak

Sheep guts and oatmeal boiled in a stomach
Chase a ball around the country beating it with a stick
Bagpipes
Skirts
Whisky flavored with peat smoke
Metal pistol stocks
Were my ancestors about half a bubble off level?
Also being of Scottish descent I've wondered that often,
they also invented Curling the most exciting sport in the Olympics...🤣

Mmmm, haggis 😋 (and a wee dram)
IMG_20230125_183642809.jpg

Fair fa’ your honest, sonsie face,
Great Chieftain o’ the Puddin-race!
Aboon them a’ ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy of a grace
As lang ‘s my arm.
The groaning trencher there ye fill,
Your hurdies like a distant hill,
Your pin wad help to mend a mill
In time o’ need,
While thro’ your pores the dews distil
Like amber bead.
His knife see Rustic-labour dight,
An’ cut ye up wi’ ready slight,
Trenching your gushing entrails bright,
Like onie ditch;
And then, O what a glorious sight,
Warm-reekin, rich!
Then, horn for horn, they stretch an’ strive:
Deil tak the hindmost, on they drive,
Till a’ their weel-swall’d kytes belyve
Are bent like drums;
Then auld Guidman, maist like to rive,
Bethankit hums.
Is there that owre his French ragout,
Or olio that wad staw a sow,
Or fricassee wad mak her spew
Wi’ perfect sconner,
Looks down wi’ sneering, scornfu’ view
On sic a dinner?
Poor devil! see him owre his trash,
As feckless as a wither’d rash,
His spindle shank a guid whip-lash,
His nieve a nit;
Thro’ bluidy flood or field to dash,
O how unfit!
But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed,
The trembling earth resounds his tread,
Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
He’ll make it whissle;
An’ legs, an’ arms, an’ heads will sned,
Like taps o’ thrissle.
Ye Pow’rs wha mak mankind your care,
And dish them out their bill o’ fare,
Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
That jaups in luggies;
But, if ye wish her gratefu’ prayer,
Gie her a Haggis!
~Robert Burns

January 25th is Robert Burns Day. You toast some oats, mix with "Lamb Innards" and chopped onion and stuff in a lamb/sheep stomach. "Chief of the Pudd'n Clan" . Those thirty Scots. In any event not easy these days to find all the ingredients.
I could hit my thumb with a hammer and probably feel no worse than eating "haggis". Please, no more gastronomic torture!!

Many years ago I spent extended stays in Scotland, mainly Inverness, and ate Haggis and had Neeps & Tatties too. But it was over 30 years ago and I really don’t remember how they tasted. Had Kippered Herring for breakfast too.
While in Southeast Asia [Thailand] I ate a Rice Bird. They are prepared without removing the intestines; you eat the entire bird. I was invited to 21st birthday bash for a Thai Admiral's daughter. I could not refuse. I can still see that naked, transparent bird sitting on a bed of rice, Man that rice was good, Dale

We eat sardines oysters and clams whole. I don’t care for livers and gizzards but do boil them with some spices for a killer broth that’s a base for gravy and soup( make a killer egg drop soup from that broth)
I would even wonder about the kosher aspect of haggis, as it uses no milk, it made with the from front quarters of a clean animal.
If we just called it Highland boil, or lamb sausage I bet folks wouldn’t find it so ‘strange’

Last edited:
Growing up my Mother fried Tripe on a weekly basis, and not canned, fresh from the meat counter. We’d usually have it with supper on Wednesdays with the rest being fresh vegetables from our garden. She’d fry it thin and crispy, it was excellent. I’ve tried to make the same with canned tripe and failed miserably.

Many years ago I spent extended stays in Scotland, mainly Inverness, and ate Haggis and had Neeps & Tatties too. But it was over 30 years ago and I really don’t remember how they tasted. Had Kippered Herring for breakfast too.
I was a liaison Officer with the Black Watch in Edinburgh. Kippers and Porridge for breakfast. I lost a lot of weight there!!

A tongue served up for burritos
You go to the best taco trucks cheek, lip and tongue are the best ones.
What’s the difference between trapezoid and deltoid, called shoulder roast and lip meat?View attachment 193320
When I was growing up we had beef tongue at least once a month. Mother would boil it and remove the outer skin, then cook it like a roast. Usually had it for Sunday dinner. For supper we’d slice it thin and add some extra salt and make toasted sandwiches in an old toaster oven. Delicious!!! Hadn’t had any for a long time, probably never will again. My wife has never shared my country born taste and I doubt if after 43 years that will change.

Latest posts

Back