• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

FOR SALE Hacked or scam?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You said something in your longer post about avoiding scammers and how they have likely been operating here, and how accounts behave when hacked, that caught my eye.
You said that once the hacker/scanner logs in as the member and changes the email and password for the account, the hacked member could open another account and post about the hack because their email is no longer associated with their original screen name. Are you sure about this?
I seem to recall Zonie and @Angie telling me that a second account could not be opened from the same i.p. address when I was being threatened by a former member.

Also, can 2 step security be implemented, at least as an option, for things like password changes?
I'm speaking of the member having a cell phone number on file and when a password change request is made, a 6 digit code is texted to the cell phone and needs to be entered before the password change form can even be accessed. This way anyone wanting to change a password would have to have access to the member's cell phone as well as their account here.

I can turn that on. And be darn sure when you set it, that you want it. But I'll set it two 2 step can be set for anyone wanting to set it.

I can turn that on. And be darn sure when you set it, that you want it. But I'll set it two 2 step can be set for anyone wanting to set it.
Thanks Angie I’m sure this will help some. A suggestion I have is that a person must have a larger minimum of requirements before selling. More posts, longer time as a forum member, and possibly even must be a paid support member before being able to sell. I see way too many people join, make the minimum number of posts by responding great, nice, welcome to the forum blah blah blah just to meet the minimum requirements. With the exception of someone being hacked I feel the most suspicious sellers are .32 cal new members with minimal posts. If a person wants to sell and make money on the forum require them to be paid members. The amount per year is minuscule. Thanks for always helping btw! Good day.

Thanks Angie I’m sure this will help some. A suggestion I have is that a person must have a larger minimum of requirements before selling. More posts, longer time as a forum member, and possibly even must be a paid support member before being able to sell. I see way too many people join, make the minimum number of posts by responding great, nice, welcome to the forum blah blah blah just to meet the minimum requirements. With the exception of someone being hacked I feel the most suspicious sellers are .32 cal new members with minimal posts. If a person wants to sell and make money on the forum require them to be paid members. The amount per year is minuscule. Thanks for always helping btw! Good day.
I agree to a point.
Unfortunately basing allowance to sell in number of posts doesn't help if someone is using a hacked account of a longtime member.

Thanks Angie. Hopefully you or someone on staff can post a better explanation than I did of what this is and how it works for people to base their decision on whether or not to use it.

I agree to a point.
Unfortunately basing allowance to sell in number of posts doesn't help if someone is using a hacked account of a longtime member.
Recently it’s been scams with hacked accounts. Prior to that it was scammers starting a new profile then selling immediately once they reached the minimum requirements. I think there have been more incidents of bad deals with brand new members than with hacked accounts. Either way they need to be taken to the wood shed.

Lots of good info on this thread.

Over the last few months I have purchased some firearms from a couple of distant states. I have to admit my personal list of red flag warnings has grown quite a bit this past year - that whole 'better to be safe than sorry' thing.

The biggest challenge for me has been to always be willing to walk away. More than just once I have ended up paying significantly more for something my addiction told me I just can't live without - simply because the seller's terms weren't exactly what I wanted.

While I have not made very many purchases by way of this forum - I want to say I have had zero difficulties with any of those transactions.

I have only sold one item here, and the buyer sent a money order without question or objection. Once I had it in hand, I sent the gun.

I don't know that I would send an expensive item, in this case a near mint TC Big Boar, without the money ahead of time.

I would have no problem with extra pics, phone call, Skype or whatever. There are ways to work things out between buyer and seller without invoking the power of the mods or complicating the use/access of the forum.

There will always be risk in any transaction. It's the world we live in. Just my humble opinion.

One thing that has contributed to the scammers I believe is the virus and the change in the political climate.

Before the above mentioned, folks had time to think here about a purchase, ask the seller questions and mull it over.

The above mentioned changes caused shortages of all sorts of gun related items. If you did not "buy it now" it was gone. Kind of like toilet paper.

The feeding frenzy gave the scammers an easy in here. Before guns would last some time, then guns were literally gone in minutes some times.

Another change has been a sudden increase in the new comers, that changed the profile of the members. Some of the newer members are not as laid back as the more senior members.

Also to help minimize the risk of being "hacked", two part verification isn't completely foolproof but it is much better than single verification. Never and I repeat NEVER click on an email where you don't recognize the sender, if you do you run a much higher risk of having your computer and quite possibly your private info accessed by nefarious persons. If at all possible never save your payment information on vendor's websites and for any online financial/billing accounts never save your password and user name. Input both every time you log into one of those accounts that way the login information is not saved on your computer. I have a notebook that has all my user names and passwords listed but I use my own code to write down the info.
Be extremely observant of where you go on the internet, always check your address bar (at the top of the browser) to make sure you haven't been redirected or accidentally clicked on a fake site. Again not completely foolproof but look for the closed padlock image in the address bar, if it's not there you might want to think about getting out of that site as fast as possible.
Finally make sure your Anti-Virus is not only up to day but is turned on and your browser/email security systems are in place and working.

Paypal "Friends and Family" offers NO protection whatsoever! Most legitimate sellers who will accept Paypal won't mind a "conventional transaction." I will offer to pay the "vig" when transacting via Paypal AND use a credit card in the transaction to boot! When Paypal sometimes get to dragging their feet in an "investigation" of a bad deal, I then can go directly to the credit card company and dispute the charges. I have had the need to do it this way on occasion over the years of dealing with Paypal, and this straightens the "situation"out nearly instantly! You might get a "nasty note" from Paypal saying that the dispute is now "out of their hands"-but I am sure that they'll get over it!
PayPal will not secure ANY gun transaction.

The best defense is to check a seller's Bona Fides on this very forum. I can't imagine a scammer building a solid sales history and then "Whamo!" you're scammed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back