• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

FOR SALE Hacked or scam?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive done business with a couple forum members here and have always been treated fairly. To cover my ass, I only use US postal money orders mailed to a street address. It's kind of hard to say the postal investigator " I didn't do it" if it came to your house with your name on it.
SAME HERE postal M/O the only way to fly..with a street address

SAME HERE postal M/O the only way to fly..with a street address
Alas some of the fraud suspect will file a forwarding mail form at a post office, so the address is not the actual end destination, and they may not care if they are apprehended, if enough of an investigation is done to track them down...

LD

Alas some of the fraud suspect will file a forwarding mail form at a post office, so the address is not the actual end destination, and they may not care if they are apprehended, if enough of an investigation is done to track them down...

LD
Theres still a paper trail.Dad had his mail re-routed to florida in winters..still had to have a id and paper trail

I am very fortunate to have bought and sold in this forum. It is a wonderful place to exchange both information and goods.
Unfortunately thieves and brigands are everywhere, and like vultures they are circling above this forum looking for a free meal, and the buyer indeed must be wary.
Learning what I have here, I would never use Vimeo.

OK, I have a question maybe a moderator could enlighten us . If your account has been hacked, can you no longer post? I'm here every day, if someone is posting under my name I am going to know pretty quick.
Not a moderator on here obviously, but a mod on a forum that uses the same software. I've been keeping my team updated on what's happening here. I suspect these people are getting their password phished. I can't see any other way.

Not a moderator on here obviously, but a mod on a forum that uses the same software. I've been keeping my team updated on what's happening here. I suspect these people are getting their password phished. I can't see any other way.
If my account is hacked will I still be logged in and can I post?

Might send a note directly to Angie or a Mod. to get get your answer, versus everyone here seeing the answer.

While paypal friends & family certainly offers no buyer or seller protection, I had heard that even the protected purchase with added fee does not guarantee if paypal determines the transaction is for a firearm or related...

I would think that this would be information that everyone would want to know. How could you report that your account is hacked if you are locked out of the forum ?
Might send a note directly to Angie or a Mod. to get get your answer, versus everyone here seeing the answer.

Guess my thought it might provide information to scammers with help to defeat the system.

Couple of things to note here…First, I have had several excellent transactions with members of this and other forums, but am disgusted (like the rest of you) with the riff-raff that has begun preying on honest and trusting members.

Second, as to some of the different “safer” ways to send funds mentioned here:

PayPal of any type will shut you down if they hear it is a firearms-related transaction. So, even if you pay the extra fee for protection, they probably still will deny any refund because you violated their terms of use.

From my understanding, US Postal money orders are great for the seller, but since they are basically “cash,” are difficult if not impossible for the buyer to get refunded if he was ripped off. You may be able to have a postal inspector get involved, but I wouldn’t count on it.

You would think getting justice for these scams would be a shoe-in since these are using the mail system, crossing state lines, etc., which should make these federal offenses (i believe), but most of the scams are for dollar amounts that put them below amounts of interest to police, USPS, etc., so it is difficult to prosecute even if you do have the actual identity of the scammer.

I am saddened (and angered) that we now have to question every possible transaction. I have bought, sold, and traded some cool stuff here, and it was so much nicer when all you had to worry about was how to ship something, etc.

Just my two cents…

‘Poet

Last edited:
As some of you have learned, paypal won't help anyone if you pay F&F. My solution was to stop all transactions with paypal at the bank and remove my bank account number and credit card info from paypal. So, I don't think I've lost anything and I will try not to be this dumb again.

How about we better understand the system to defeat the scammers

OK so, the only way to complete stop a scammer is to make it impossible for folks to post. Sorta the same question as how to make it impossible for a burglar to get into a house..., seal the house up so there are no windows nor doors...,

I suspect these people are getting their password phished. I can't see any other way.

Correct, the long time members who have been "hacked" have allowed by accident a nefarious person electronic access to their PC. That person then has gone through files and found member ship here, and the password. That person can then do one of two things..., they can log on and monitor what the victim is posting without the victim's knowledge, so IF they are patient, they can wait until the victim makes an online purchase, and discover the victim's bank card number, expiration date and that special number on the back of the card. Then BAM! the account gets drained with some sort of "purchase" not authorized.

The other thing that the nefarious person may do, especially if they are impatient, is they can log onto any site where the victim is a member, and then change the email and password. The member is then locked out, but the nefarious person can masquerade as that member, offering a fraudulent sale. Which is what has happened in the past two times of which I'm aware.

If your account has been hacked, can you no longer post? I'm here every day, if someone is posting under my name I am going to know pretty quick.

Nope the account has been stolen so an every day member would catch it pretty quick. You could not log on as a member, BUT since the account is no longer linked to your personal email, THEN you could start a new membership to be able to post the hack to the rest of the members and get the hacker shut down. Then Angie could correct your original account, and delete the new, redundant one.

You can also (iirc) send a message from your private email to Angie by clicking on the "Contact us" tab in the lower right side of this page. This takes longer but if you suddenly found yourself banned, that would be an option to find out why if it was unclear to you.

LD

Theres still a paper trail.Dad had his mail re-routed to florida in winters..still had to have a id and paper trail

As I've explained, the existence of a "paper trail" or anything identifying the subject generally does not garner prosecution, or if it does it's minor and when an addict is involved, they simply don't care.

To Thwart these guys....,
a) Check the post count and the date joined, and LOOK at what they have posted. IF they have recently joined, and done nothing more than greet other new members, or approve of posts without adding anything..., no actual knowledge of black powder shooting for example, this may be a scammer who is boosting their post count.
b) If they then offer something for sale that is at a rather low price, the "too good to be true" price, is another clue... OR..,
c) If a) above applies and then you get a private message that's a tip about a third person who is selling something, that's a clue. "Hey I saw you were looking for X, and I know a guy who is selling X, and here is his email"... that's likely a scam.
d) IF you're not sure, ASK the person to take a photo of the item in a manner that you specify, with an additional item that you request. "Can you send me a photo of the lock on the gun with two quarters and a nickle and a penny next to it?" IF they don't comply then halt the negotiation and ignore the seller. If they object about you questioning their honesty, a short explanation of why should suffice, and if not.... then halt the negotiation and ignore the seller. WHY the coin combination? You should use more than one coin, since folks will sometimes put a single coin into a photo online for scale..., and a scammer could simply repost an old ad with such a photo. A random coin combination means the seller must have the item at hand. OH and LOOK HARD that the photo isn't exactly like a previous photo of lock that magically now has the coins..., some scammers will try and photoshop one of the fraudulent photos to fool you. IF they don't comply, giving you a new photo with the coin combo...,halt negotiation and ignore the seller.
e) If you think the deal is good, then use a USPS money order, and get an address, not a P.O. Box.

Not fool proof as it doesn't stop a guy with a stolen black powder gun and a camera, some coins, an address and a bank account from simply saying "I will sell this to you", getting the money order, cashing it, and simply not completing the transaction.

LD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back