• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

H.R. 4089 - Protects Lead Use

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Most important aspect for us traditional muzzleloader enthusiasts is the part about lead use:

U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance
801 Kingsmill Parkway, Columbus, OH 43229
Ph. 614/888-4868 Ӣ Fax 614/888-0326
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Mike Faw (614) 888-4868 x 214
April 17, 2012 Sharon Hayden (614) 888-4868 x 226
U.S. House Votes to Protect Hunting /
Shooting on Public Land

(Columbus, Ohio) ”“With bipartisan support the U.S. House of Representatives today approved the most significant pro-sportsmen legislation in 15 years. H.R. 4089, which passed by a vote of 274-146, is a package of high priority issues supported by every nationally prominent conservation and sportsmen’s organization. The bill was supported by 235 Republicans and 39 Democrats.

Entitled The Sportsmen’s Heritage Act of 2012, H.R. 4089:

Classifies Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and U.S. Forest Service lands as open to hunting, fishing and recreational shooting unless closed or restricted based on scientific evidence;
Confirms that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) cannot ban lead in traditional ammunition or in sport fishing gear;
Protects recreational shooting on BLM National Monument land; and
Allows the import of legally hunted polar bear trophies now tangled in federal red-tape.

A major focus of the organizations that helped craft H.R. 4089 is to prevent frivolous lawsuits that unfairly restrict the rights of hunters, anglers and shooters and limit wildlife conservation and management. Over the last decade anti-hunting groups and their trial lawyers have filed multiple suits in courts arguing that existing federal law does not allow, or requires restrictions on fishing, hunting, and shooting on federal public lands. Defending against these suits has cost state and federal wildlife agencies and sportsmen’s organizations, including the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance (USSA), millions of dollars.

In 1998, USSA first proposed that federal BLM and Forest Service lands, which total over 700 million acres, be declared legally open to fishing, hunting and shooting unless closed by specific agency action. In the intervening years, USSA has worked to persuade the sporting community and Congress of the need for such legislation. House passage of H.R. 4089 is the result of this long effort to build strong legal barriers against anti-hunters and the animal rights lobby.

The bill also protects fishing tackle and ammunition from attacks. Recently, the Center for Biological Diversity filed a notice of intent to sue the federal government to force the U.S. EPA to ban the use of lead in ammunition and fishing tackle. Their claim misrepresented the intent of the Toxic Substance Control Act which was enacted in 1976 to allow the EPA to regulate new commercial chemicals entering the market and the distribution of existing chemicals found to pose unreasonable risks to public health or the environment. It was never intended to allow the regulation of ammunition and fishing tackle.

“H.R. 4089 spells out in plain language that hunting, fishing and recreational shooting are legitimate uses of federal public lands and that these lands are open, as a matter of law, to these traditional activities,” said Bud Pidgeon, USSA president and CEO. “And it makes it crystal clear that the U.S. EPA does not have the authority to restrict American’s choices of ammunition and fishing tackle.”

In addition to USSA, H.R. 4089 is supported by an array of sporting conservation groups including the American Sportfishing Association, Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation, National Rifle Association, National Shooting Sports Foundation, and Safari Club International. A complete listing of supporters can be found here.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's about time the politicians did something right. Now lets wait to see how bad the Senate screws it up before we all start celebrating. I'm still going to keep my fingers crossed.

I have read that there is a lot of debate on this bill. Some feel it will open wilderness areas to all sorts of abuses including ATV's running all over, etc. I've seen a lot of hunter posts on other websites opposing the legistation for that reason. I suppose some of the language guaranteeing "access" can be interpreted that way, but not sure that's what is intended.

The animal rights groups are already telling their members that it we'll be hunting next to old faithful and everywhere else in National Parks if this passes. If the anti's hate it that much, it must be good for us! :hmm:

There may be some issues with this bill, but overall it appears to offer some great protections and access rights for sportsmen. I think the good outweighs the bad. I've already notified my Senators to ask for their support although I'm not sure what the SF number is.

This bill tells me how much the Democrats care about us hunters when only 39 supported this bill. :idunno: :shake:

armakiller said:
This bill tells me how much the Democrats care about us hunters when only 39 supported this bill. :idunno: :shake:

partisonism, are you serious? :shake:

Some feel it will open wilderness areas to all sorts of abuses including ATV's running all over

Your attitude is no different than those who are 'anti-everything'. There is no inherent damage from the use of ATVs in forests. I see trash and damage miles from the roads by people who have walked or ridden horses in. When the Forest Service shut off access by ATVs that ended my hunting days in the forest. Everything in the Ozarks is uphill coming out. I simply cannot drag a deer or bear two or three miles uphill anymore to get back to my truck. Cardiac arrest is not one of the joys of hunting that is on my agenda.
Ye hit my hot button. :cursing: I better stop while I can still be polite. :2

It's not just about "trash". Although trash is unsightly, it doesn't actually do much "damage". Not so for wheeled vehicles.

The footprints left by people walking do not make natural channels for water to run in, but wheeled vehicles do. One "off road" track of an ATV (mountain bike, etc.) down the side of a hill can cause the water to follow that course year after year, eroding much of the land. It's a proven fact.

Exactly. Find a younger hunting buddy to go with you and help you to drag the thing out or get a collapsible cart and use it. ATV's are utility vehicles and should be used for utlity purposes on roads where you could drive with your truck,too or on private lands. ATV's ruined western hunting and are as bad as the messed up wolf reintroduction. In the east they are only topped by stray dogs/straying pets...

Rifleman1776 said:
Some feel it will open wilderness areas to all sorts of abuses including ATV's running all over

Your attitude is no different than those who are 'anti-everything'. There is no inherent damage from the use of ATVs in forests. I see trash and damage miles from the roads by people who have walked or ridden horses in. When the Forest Service shut off access by ATVs that ended my hunting days in the forest. Everything in the Ozarks is uphill coming out. I simply cannot drag a deer or bear two or three miles uphill anymore to get back to my truck. Cardiac arrest is not one of the joys of hunting that is on my agenda.
Ye hit my hot button. :cursing: I better stop while I can still be polite. :2

Apologies offered. :redface:
He did qualify by saying
Some feel
those were not his words or thoughts.
Hitting my hot button :cursing: also shut off my reasoning process. :wink:

Apology accepted.

I'll state for the record here that I also own an ATV. Numerous severely damaged discs are slowly ending much of the physical exertion I could once tolerate! But I also believe those of us that use them need to stick to established trails and tread as lightly as possible AND respect other hunters by not running around during prime hours and ruining their hunts. I've sworn at ATV's as much as I've appreciated them so I also understand the concerns held by others! Hopefully we can all get along! :surrender:

Gents,
The ATV debate is another one of those things that got ruined by a few for the many. I dont have one so have no dog in this fight, but have no problem with people using them if they need to as long as they use them responsibly. Basically, there is a huge difference between someone using it to get in, hunt, and then get their deer out, vs. someone going in and racing all over the place using the area as their personal motocross track. Unfortunately, many places have decided that it is a matter of allow all or allow nothing. This helps protect the land for our use somewhat, but it also keeps out people who aren't as able to walk in as they used to be, so no matter what, it's a double edged sword.

Back