H.M.S Terror

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

tenngun

Cannon
Reaction score
Franklins Terror found in artic. This was 1848and ship is discribed in perfect condition. The photos don’t look so perfect but looks very fine. I’m waiting to see the daily life type products recovered.

tenngun

Cannon
Reaction score
Do I hear The the theme of jaws or abyss, or twenty thousand leagues under the sea?

yonderin

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Interesting "life and death" of HMS Terror, almost as much as the fate of the crew. Even the discovery has resulted in some controversy.

Haven't followed along so don't know what they have discovered or recovered, suspect most stuff would be left in place. But, I understand, there was hope for recovering documents. Would help fill in some blanks on the fates of the crew.

tenngun

Cannon
Reaction score
I hope they don’t leave it in place. The only way we can learn something is bring it up and look at it. For sure most will be plates pipes and silverware,(I’ve seen it before) but everything counts.

Scott_C

36 Cal.
Reaction score
The Canada parks dept is recovering items from both of Franklin's ships, while also trying to work out partnership/logistics with England. Sadly they've a very short window between thawing and freeze up that far north. Luckily they aren't in terribly deep water. The masts would stick above water if the ice hadn't sheared them off they say.

I know they recovered a cannon and bell from the one ship immediately upon discovery (or is that re-discovery?).

yonderin

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Supposedly around 2009, an Inuit had found the wreck by the mast sticking up through the ice. Incredible to think that it survived 160+ years without being completely sheared off if that's the case. Locals claimed that when the ice was out and sun right, you could see the silhouette.

Parks Canada discounted these reports and never even conducted a cursory search in that area, a private excursion finally confirmed the location.

I understand that Great Britain has gifted the ships to Canada.