• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

H and A 58 caliber underhammer rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoneLake

32 Cal
Reaction score
My wife purchased this rifle for me in about 1972 as a birthday gift. At the time I had envisioned
using it for deer hunting when I lived in Wisconsin. I never was able to do that due to some things
out of my control. I was able to take it to the range on a few occasions and have probably fired
about 25 rounds through it. It has been in a cloth case in my gun safe for now about 25 years
and I looked at it the other day and it is still in mint condition. I have been looking on line to try
to find out information about the rifle but most posts are about smaller caliber underhammer
rifles. I know it has been out of production for a long time but I can’t find out how long it was
in production, how many were made, and possible value. I would appreciate any help or advice
about my rifle, thanks.

Attachments

• 1AA1F896-8E0F-4888-B9D6-6B887477BAE3.jpeg
    1AA1F896-8E0F-4888-B9D6-6B887477BAE3.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 115
  • CE04E8C0-9B28-472C-901A-05B82214114D.jpeg
    CE04E8C0-9B28-472C-901A-05B82214114D.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 114
  • EC62CF51-9874-4480-B34C-73C1C24988C8.jpeg
    EC62CF51-9874-4480-B34C-73C1C24988C8.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 109
It’s worth what a CVA or whatever from that era would sell for as a hunting rifle. Not thinking it has collector value. Good gun, just not a hot item.

not sure how long they were made, but under hammers do have fans. I have looked at them in pictures for years, finally found 2 on the forums in the last few months. first one was a buggy rifle in .45, the second was a long barreled .58. both in worse shape than yours by far. I paid around 300 for each. I would think yours being in excellent shape, and a .58, it would be worth more. I would rather have your under hammer than most other muzzleloaders of the same age. My 2 cents.

Paid 300 for my .58 quite a few years ago, but judging from the current market and what they are actually selling for on gunbroker I’d say 450-500 is a decent guess, they don’t make em any more and rarely see a .58, you’d have to buy the parts and build one to get one as nice as yours, I’m an underhammer fan btw, nice rifle you have.

Thanks for the info everyone it is really interesting. I have not lost interest in
shooting but my interests changed. Black powder at one time was my favorite
as I have the 58 and a 36 caliber pistol. Both of these have been in the gun safe
for many years. My interests changed, as have my rifle choices. I was willed 2
rifles from WW2 by an uncle. ...
I have thought for quit a while about selling the 58 but
due to the lack of info on the internet I had no idea of its potential value. I
guess I should think about selling it some time in the future as I will probably
not shoot it anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've still got the H&A underhammer I bought over 55 years ago, they are fine shooting rifles. I find it interesting your barrel is stamped "Minuteman". I also had an H&A "Minuteman" back then as well. But it was a flintlock longrifle.

If you set out to build one the parts alone will bump over $500. It's a nice rifle. I know you have gone in a different shooting direction but twere it me I'd keep it and shoot it occasionally.

I will take everyone’s advice and make a decision. I am glad I found this site as it has
been very informative and helpful. I am still thinking about selling my rifle some time
in the future as I am sure that there is someone out there who would enjoy and use
it way more than I have or will.

Since one was my first muzzleloader I sort of developed a fondness for them.

For some reason they never quite caught on, even originals. A stately gentleman made under hammers in my area until three years ago. They were copied after the Hopkins Allen and were light to carry as well as being very accurate. The works are relative simple and easily repaired, but I never saw one break. Some were prone to drop a cap occasionally, the little friction spring that held the cap would get weak. Sometimes the expired cap would be a little stubborn about removing.

Back