• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

H&A Underhammer pistol nipple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to Numrich arms page-329 item 10 part number 522950 the size is 1/4x32 nipple

1/4X32TPI is correct. TOW has Ampco nipples with this thread. Buy 2 or 3.

A word(s) of caution. I don't know what the size is but there is a metric nipple with threads very close to the 1/4-32 threads that you need. Be sure to check the nipples that you receive to be sure that one of these metric nipples didn't accidently find its way into the batch of nipples that are sent to you.

A few years back, I was shooting my newly built H&A underhammer rifle reproduction in a woodswalk. It is a very sweet shooting .45 cal rifle with an "A" weight barrel. I had purchased some nipples for it at Friendship. The vendor had loose nipples in bins sitting side by side. Each bin was marked with the size of the nipple. I found the bin that was marked 1/4 - 32 and dipped my hand in and took out a few of the nipples. When I got home, I installed one of the new nipples in the rifle and took it to the range to check the sights. A few shots proved that the sights were right on. I then took it to the next woodswalk at our club. The course was 28 targets. At about the 25th target, there was a very loud and strange sounding bang when my rifle went off. I was stunned for a moment and then my friend pointed out to me that the front forearm of the rifle had blown off. I was very lucky that I had developed a strange way of holding that rifle due to its very light weight and balance. I held it like shooting a handgun with a two handed hold. My left hand over my right hand around the wrist of the stock. This kept my supporting forearm just behind the nipple and when it blew out, it missed my arm. Otherwise I might have had to go to the hospital and have the nipple removed from my arm.

A little bit of examination of the rifle showed that the nipple had blown out but not damaged the threads in the barrel. It was obvious to all that I had installed a nipple of the wrong size. One of my friends suggested that I had installed a metric nipple. I went home and closely examined the nipples that I had bought at Friendship and sure enough, there was one more metric nipple in the batch. Obviously, what had happened was that some metric nipples had accidently gotten mixed in with the 1/4 - 32 nipples. So, be sure to check the nipples when you get them to be sure that they are 1/4 - 32 because the metric nipples will screw into the 1/4 - 32 threads in your barrel but you will have very minimal thread engagement which creates a very dangerous situation.

It happened to me and I was very lucky not to have been seriously hurt.

Billnpatti said:
A word(s) of caution. I don't know what the size is but there is a metric nipple with threads very close to the 1/4-32 threads that you need. Be sure to check the nipples that you receive to be sure that one of these metric nipples didn't accidently find its way into the batch of nipples that are sent to you.

A few years back, I was shooting my newly built H&A underhammer rifle reproduction in a woodswalk. It is a very sweet shooting .45 cal rifle with an "A" weight barrel. I had purchased some nipples for it at Friendship. The vendor had loose nipples in bins sitting side by side. Each bin was marked with the size of the nipple. I found the bin that was marked 1/4 - 32 and dipped my hand in and took out a few of the nipples. When I got home, I installed one of the new nipples in the rifle and took it to the range to check the sights. A few shots proved that the sights were right on. I then took it to the next woodswalk at our club. The course was 28 targets. At about the 25th target, there was a very loud and strange sounding bang when my rifle went off. I was stunned for a moment and then my friend pointed out to me that the front forearm of the rifle had blown off. I was very lucky that I had developed a strange way of holding that rifle due to its very light weight and balance. I held it like shooting a handgun with a two handed hold. My left hand over my right hand around the wrist of the stock. This kept my supporting forearm just behind the nipple and when it blew out, it missed my arm. Otherwise I might have had to go to the hospital and have the nipple removed from my arm.

A little bit of examination of the rifle showed that the nipple had blown out but not damaged the threads in the barrel. It was obvious to all that I had installed a nipple of the wrong size. One of my friends suggested that I had installed a metric nipple. I went home and closely examined the nipples that I had bought at Friendship and sure enough, there was one more metric nipple in the batch. Obviously, what had happened was that some metric nipples had accidently gotten mixed in with the 1/4 - 32 nipples. So, be sure to check the nipples when you get them to be sure that they are 1/4 - 32 because the metric nipples will screw into the 14 - 32 threads in your barrel but you will have very minimal thread engagement which creates a very dangerous situation.

It happened to me and I was very lucky not to have been seriously hurt.
Thanks, that's good to know. :thumbsup:

B&P
You picked up a few M6-0.75 nipples by mistake.

The 6 mm size is equal to .2362 inches in diameter and the .075 mm pitch equals .0295 inches.
That pitch equals the pitch of a 33.8 thread per inch distance.

The undersize thread diameter can allow the mismatched 33.8 tpi to screw in with no obvious interference but as you found, this nipple screwed into a 1/4-32 UNEF hole can prove to be a dangerous thing.

B&P
You picked up a few M6-0.75 nipples by mistake.

The 6 mm size is equal to .2362 inches in diameter and the .075 mm pitch equals .0295 inches.
That pitch equals the pitch of a 33.8 thread per inch distance.

The undersize thread diameter can allow the mismatched 33.8 tpi to screw in with no obvious interference but as you found, this nipple screwed into a 1/4-32 UNEF hole can prove to be a dangerous thing.

Thats what I was gonna say :rotf:

Latest posts

Back