• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

H&A or Allen Underhammer Action?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf172

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi all. I hope you all had a great Christmas. I may have asked this question before but I can't find where I may have asked it so I'll just ask again. Which action would you prefer if building a new under hammer rifle? I like the simplicity of the H&A but then I like to robust of the Allen. However the Allen is about $80 more through Pecatonica River. Let me know what your opinions or thoughts are.

Which action would you prefer if building a new under hammer rifle? Let me know what your opinions or thoughts are.
You did not give my choice as a selection, but here is my opinion! You do not have to purchase the rifle, the receiver can be purchased separate.

Underhammers by R.J.Renner
1609099848483.png

Flintlocklar 🇺🇲

Hi all. I hope you all had a great Christmas. I may have asked this question before but I can't find where I may have asked it so I'll just ask again. Which action would you prefer if building a new under hammer rifle? I like the simplicity of the H&A but then I like to robust of the Allen. However the Allen is about $80 more through Pecatonica River. Let me know what your opinions or thoughts are.
I have a .45 cal match rifle I made on a H&A action from a buggy rifle. Won a match two weeks ago with it. I did modify the action by threading the front to except a matching thread cut on the extended breech plug so as not to rely on the tapered pin through the action purchase. Under hammer percussion is about the fastest and most reliable single shot percussion designs available as the flash channel is only the length of the nipple.

I have a .45 cal match rifle I made on a H&A action from a buggy rifle. Won a match two weeks ago with it. I did modify the action by threading the front to except a matching thread cut on the extended breech plug so as not to rely on the tapered pin through the action purchase. Under hammer percussion is about the fastest and most reliable single shot percussion designs available as the flash channel is only the length of the nipple.
Nice. I've been looking at the kit at Pecatonica River Long Rifle. Just trying to decide if I want to stick with the H&A action or spend another $80 for the Allen action.

Attachments

• UnderhammerParts.jpg
    UnderhammerParts.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 114
  • Underhammer3x262.jpg
    Underhammer3x262.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 63
Nice. I've been looking at the kit at Pecatonica River Long Rifle. Just trying to decide if I want to stick with the H&A action or spend another $80 for the Allen action.
That is exactly what has been keeping me on the fence. They didn't have the Allen actions a couple weeks ago, have you called to see if they are available yet? I wish someone who has had both would chime in and give their opinion on which they like better. Pros and cons.

That is exactly what has been keeping me on the fence. They didn't have the Allen actions a couple weeks ago, have you called to see if they are available yet? I wish someone who has had both would chime in and give their opinion on which they like better. Pros and cons.

I agree. That's why I chose that topic hoping someone would chime in. No I haven't checked with anyone at Pecatonica River Long Rifle about the Allen action. Supposedly the Gun Works also carries them but not sure if they have any in stock either.

Well build one of each and sell the one that doesn't work as well for you ! No two people are going to agree on which is better most likely any how.

Can't afford to build 2. All I was asking for was the pros and cons of each action from people who actually have one

Latest posts

Back