• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

H&A Buggy Underhammer rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because they are fun to shoot.

The vast majority of Light and Heavy Bench guns (rifles) ae under hammers.

The flame from the nipple goes directly into the powder, faster ignition.
Yes, they have very reliable and quick ignition with the cap blast directly through the nipple into the main charge. There is no distance to travel and no direction change of cap flash.

Had one for years, great fun to shoot and the short barrel of the buggy rifle made it a good woods gun. Had to sell it due to job loss years ago, have been trying for a long time to acquire another.

And only three major parts, hammer, trigger and hammer spring.....not counting the little trigger spring!

Ok, why under hammer long guns?

I've read that boot pistols were intended to be easier to pull out, but I haven't seen anything that explains why a rifle would have an under hammer.

The U/H design came about because there was a desire to both protect a shooter's eye from blowback debris, and to keep the ignition better protected from the elements while shooting.

You are right, never thought about it.

I shoot better scores with my under hammer pistols than I do with side locks.

Kind of a H&A.. but they can be made pretty! ;)
DS UH1.jpg

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Underhammer rifles were very popular and efficient as the action allowed the cap flame to enter directly into the main charge. As time went on and underhammer actions improved the target shooters began to find favor with them due to the speed of ignition and one less thing within their line of sight. They are not considered traditional by some people they are absolutely traditional. Besides, "they are fun".

Back