• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gunsmith of Williamsberg 1969

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brit, glad you had a chance to see this. It's fun to watch on a number of levels.

David Brinkley's narration is so easy to listen to.
William Devane was only two or three years into his acting career when doing his part of the narration.

Above all (for me at least) is the way Wallace Gussler uses the hand tools in such a precise and sure-handed fashion. It always cracks me up when he gets to the part where he uses a hatchet to remove extra wood from the stock! Good Lord! In my case I wouldn't even dare to have the hatchet in the same room! With Gussler's skill level it worked out fine.

In 2003 my wife and I chaperoned a group of middle schoolers around the Williamsburg village. I got a chance to stand in the shop where this was filmed. The fellow answering questions at that time said Gussler was still active at the shop. An entry level flintlock started at over $10,000. On the same trip I was checking out the village magazine and all the firearms present there. The young man doing the living history there had no visitors at all - except me. So - ahem - we kinda lost track of the time. After nearly two hours my wife and the other parents had to send the kids out looking for me because the tour bus was waiting.

Oops.

Now I have to watch it again - oh well.😁

My 5th grade teacher showed this to the class one day. I and my friends were absolutely enthralled, and it continued when I got my "Mountain Man Crafts and Skills" book shortly thereafter. Would be curious to know if it stuck with any of those friends. Bet it's not kosher for a teacher to show it nowadays, which is a serious shame!

Britsmoothy, If you are interested in early American history you would enjoy a visit to Colonial Williamsburg. Plan a few days because when we were there 2019 you have to know the schedule when the Gunsmith shop is open ! BUT
like others said you could spend all day just there !

Went to Williamsburg myself. Great place to vacation. Talked to the gunsmith, the armorer , silversmith , cooper(?) until my wife moved to the next building each time. The video is available in the post office. I bought it, didn’t know it was on YouTube. Not sorry.

I actually had the pleasure of talking to Wallace Gusler and hold one of his rifles he built at Williamsburg on a trip there, it was in the armory. When my son was younger his mother would ask him where he wanted to do a vacation it was always Williamsburg, we spent a lot of time there, also one of my favorite places.

I actually had the pleasure of talking to Wallace Gusler and hold one of his rifles he built at Williamsburg on a trip there, it was in the armory. When my son was younger his mother would ask him where he wanted to do a vacation it was always Williamsburg, we spent a lot of time there, also one of my favorite places.
I think I handled that same one. Beautiful piece. Took a few bad pictures of it

The wife took pics of the meeting. I was more interested in talking to Wallace, I have had the pleasure of meeting and talking to a few of the notable gun builders, Keith Casteel, another was Herschal House, interesting fellow, also Lally house she is a blast and very funny. good folks all.

I was fortunate enough to visit Williamsburg a number of times as a youngster (late sixties - early seventies) and I remember watching the craftsman build these incredible firearms. I wonder if I was watching Mr. Gusler! I sure never thought I would watch a video about it fifty years later. Thank you! Thank you!

Pretty awesome. Never saw before, so thanks for posting. I did some reading on him after watching this and saw he basically re-invented hand forging barrels as no one was left doing this at the time. Crazy talent and discipline to a craft…Makes me feel a little inadequate with only taking on a Kibler kit…lol.

Kind of reminds me of the Dick Proenneke films in some way. If you haven’t seen his stuff, look him up on YouTube. Guy moved to a remote lake in Alaska in his early 50s and built a cabin from scratch. Lived there for 30 years by himself. The use of hand tools and craftsmanship maybe not to this level, but still darn impressive.

Back