• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gunsmith Needed - Nipple Removal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregwl

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've got a new to me original Springfield 1861 (actually a Norris & Clement) that has a very badly stuck nipple. It's probably the original and the square edges look a bit rounded. I need a trusted gunsmith that will accept work via the mail who has experience removing these stuck nipples. I'm on the left coast where we don't have a lot of folks with experience with these types of things. Please, any recommendations would be appreciated!

ya might try drillin' the nipple hole a bit bigger & use a small easy-out on it. maybe soak it in Kroil or some such for a day or so first.

Okay, this trick may save the day for you. Mix up a 50/50 mixture of acetone and transmission fluid. Plug your nipple with a toothpick and fill your bore with the acetone/tranny fluid mixture. That mix is the best penetrating oil in the world. Let it soak for a few days. Then empty out the mixture and get a small deep socket that will fit on the nipple. It should come out. If that fails, try heating the area around the nipple with a propane torch. You want it just sizzling hot. Check it with a drop of water until the water sizzles. Then apply a piece of dry ice to the shaft of a screwdriver to chill it until it is very cold. Use care in handling the dry ice as it can cause thermal burns to exposed skin. Apply the chilled screwdriver to the nipple to chill it. The thermal shock of the hot barrel and cold nipple should pop it loose. While the barrel is still hot and the nipple is cold, give it another try with the deep socket. If this doesn't loosen it, it is time for a trip to the gunsmith. He will be able to carefully drill out the nipple and use a tap to chase the threads. You are probably looking at a gunsmith's fee in the area of $50 to $75 so if you can get it out yourself, even having to buy some dry ice, it will save you a bit of money.

go with the soak and heat do not repeat do not use the easy out. thy are not easy and very seldom get it out. most time they break off only adding to the problem.

when you do get it out put the replacement nipple in with a little anti seize. that way you will not have this problem again.

I'd go with the soak and socket. Brake fluid works too. However I'd soak it for longer than a few days. That nipple has been in there for 150 years so a month of soaking ain't gonna hurt. When you start to try to loosen the nipple, work it counter-clockwise and clockwise. Keep working it back and forth and it should work loose. Just be patient. I was once asked to unbreech a same model rifle you have and I worked the plug for at least 5 minutes before I saw liquid squeezing out around the threads of the plug. Another 2-3 minutes and the plug came out.

I'm sure you already checked, but before doing anything and especially before adding heat, please make sure it's unloaded. Too many of these old muskets have had charges left in the barrel for god knows how long.

Soaking with either kroil or the 50/50 acetone automatic transmission fluid is highly recommended. This not something to be in a hurry about.As stated it has been in there a long time, getting it out won't be a quick and easy thing. :idunno:

I had success with kroil and easy out on a stuck nipple. Let it set with kroil for awhile. I would tape the area around it so you don't accidentally leave tool marks use that blue masking tape a couple layers.

LJA, I completely agree with you. The soaking time may well take longer than just a day or so. He shouldn't get in a hurry. Let it soak. Secondly, you are dead on with the suggestion to gently twist the nipple back and forth as you attempt to remove it. Rust can form tiny flake-like structures that will act like wedges inside the threads. But, by working the nipple back and forth as you unscrew it will break up these tiny wedges of rust and keep them from jamming up the nipple threads as you attempt to unscrew the nipple.

Also excellent advice from you Ravenousfishing. You are absolutely correct in saying that on many occasions folks have found an old gun to have a charge in it left from God only knows when. It happened to me. In my case, my brother in law gave me an old Middle Eastern matchlock "camel gun" that had been found in some old warehouse years ago. I think the charge had been in it for well over 100 years. Possibly longer than that. It happens more often than one might think so always assume that an old gun is loaded, you'll be right more often than you might think.

All excellent advice from both LJA and Ravenousfishing. Thanks for adding it. :hatsoff:

Sounds like the recipe for Ed's Red bore cleaner - great stuff to have handy.

https://nfa.ca/resource-items/eds-red-homebrew-bore-solvent

Use kroil...wet it every day for a week from the outside then cap the nipple and pour some down the barrel and let it rest for another week.
You probably have one shot at getting it right.....use the best product available....use kroil.

Use a 1/4" drive socket backwards. Put the drive end on the nipple which happens to be a 1/4" square. Insert an Allen wrench in the end of the socket that normally fits on the bolt head, 5/16" Allen in a 5/16" socket etc.. You'll have a tool that won't slip or break. Save the nipple for the day you sell the gun to a collector, he'll appreciate it.

gregwl said:
I need a trusted gunsmith that will accept work via the mail who has experience removing these stuck nipples.

If, as you say, you want a trusted gunsmith to send it to.

I have some in my area that I trust with all my projects and they do out of state mail order work.
They are very good at what they do and are quite busy. Not cheap but not out of line.

If that is what you want I will PM you their contact information.

William Alexander

I had an Enfield replica, same problem.
In the long run, had to buy needle nose vice grips
and a torch for removal.

I remember reading this a few days ago feeling good I'm pretty diligent with my nipples using antisieze and glad I took someone here's advice and got a Ted Cash nipple wrench.

Then I pulled my new to me PH Musketoon out. I had carefully checked the barrel when I got it but I didn't pull the nipple. I tried the ted cash musket wrench attachment on it. Didn't go down on the nipple far enough to really grab. But on a whim I had bought an Enfield Sergeant's tool and part of that tool is a nipple wrench that fits perfect.

No movement.Left and right...harder... No movement. Hmmm. Battle stations! No wait. I don't plan to hunt with this rifle 'til next year.

I kroil the outside and I squirt Kroil thru the nipple to the inside. And tap, tap, lightly. I look at the wrench ... and decide to let it sit at least over night. I've got a little butane torch. And some of that Freeze Off penetrant. And time. And I bet some of you know some humdinger gunsmiths... if all else fails...

Anything I'm forgetting...?

They've reduced the size of the local SWAT team so in the public interest I better lay off the beer ... and my shoe laces seem to have gotten farther away so no pizza for me ... :grin:

I'm trying a hot nail ... followed by a frozen nail in the nipple (it's a musket size) to 'help' the Kroil along ... along with a few minutes of tapping with a brass hammer. May not be doing anything but making me feel like I'm doing something. I'm going to give the Kroil a few days to work before making a real effort.

I read something about putting the nipple wrench in a vice and then positioning the nipple in the wrench and turning the barrel. What are y'alls thoughts on that ...?

colorado clyde said:
Use kroil...wet it every day for a week from the outside then cap the nipple and pour some down the barrel and let it rest for another week.
You probably have one shot at getting it right.....

I put some Kroil on a rusted tractor drawbar nut that I couldn't get off with 2 feet of cheeter pipe....The nut was upside down so the kroil could puddle and sit there...
I forgot about it and went back to using it...
About a month later I went to remove it and the bolt had almost fallen out on it's own without me even having to use a wrench.

Patience....

I read something about putting the nipple wrench in a vice and then positioning the nipple in the wrench and turning the barrel. What are y'alls thoughts on that ...?

If it was a book where you read that, I would burn that book!...Unless your intention is to snap the nipple off.... :td:

Actually it was some "oldtimer" on another forum ... :) .

Anyway it seems "patience" may be the key. Just sent payment for another PH enfield, an 1858, today ... so mebbe by the time it gets here the Kroil will have done it's thing and I can take them both to the range at the same time... :grin:

Back