• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Gunsmith ID

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPaddict

32 Cal
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can help ID the gunsmith that built my Lancaster County Flintlock Rifle. I just bought it about a couple of months ago and was told Thomas Carroll built the gun. I can't find any information on Thomas Carroll. It has a modern vent liner so I'm assuming its a modern replica build. Any information on Thomas Carroll would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I was wondering if anyone can help ID the gunsmith that built my Lancaster County Flintlock Rifle. I just bought it about a couple of months ago and was told Thomas Carroll built the gun. I can't find any information on Thomas Carroll. It has a modern vent liner so I'm assuming its a modern replica build. Any information on Thomas Carroll would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Where did you acquire the rifle from? Can they assist in the research?

FB905C3D-7D84-45E7-87B7-9F926AE1F243.jpeg
Unfortunately it was a private sale from a private sale etc... the tag is all i got with it. Lioks like i finally got the tag to upload. Not much there for help. Its a gorgeous gun, 100 times better looking than my build little afraid to take it out because of it. Lol

Is it, in fact, old or new? We have an undisclosed number of rifle builders on this very forum whose work could be described like that. Mind you, here in yUK they would really HAVE to be in Lancaster county, or the tag should have read 'Lancaster County-style'.

It appears to me to be newer but I'm really new into the flintlock era. the person I got it from (my father) doesn't think to ask this questions before buying guns. just figures I will figure it out LOL. I will try and upload some photos of it tonight. I can only assume it is simply a Lancaster county style.

There is no listing for a Thomas Carroll or any Carroll in the American Gun Makers by Arcadi Gluckman. This book is perhaps one of the most complete books on the subject so, I must assume that Thomas Carroll is a modern builder.

Because our "Firearm Identification" area is for original guns made before 1865, I'm moving this topic to the General Muzzleloading area. Maybe one of our members will know about Mr. Carroll.

Back