• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Le Loup

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hunting-using-horses-as-cover.png

xtra3blome.jpg

https://books.google.com.au/books?i...B#v=onepage&q=18th century shot sizes&f=false
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/2018/11/guns-stalking-horses.html
Keith.

I had a horse once that I could shoot off of, and over the saddle...but never thought about stalking game with him, or tying elk antlers on his head. !!!!

HUNT0011.jpg
Sorry Guys , I couldn't resist...... meet Trigger, He's actually 63 horses!
You can shoot all day from his saddle and he never flinches.

Last edited:
Cool stuff...... However, here in Illinois, if the rules have not changed hunting or the pursuit of game from horse back or with "63 horses" (LOL) is not legal. Now, transport however, is legal. Drive the machine into the woods and dismount and you are legal..... go figure. There is a lot of discussion regarding coyotes and dogs being followed by trucks and ATV's.

The 63 horse method is OK if you have a handicap "standing blind" permit.

CA5C5E92-E6B8-488B-829B-F25021CB919E.png
In Tn the 63 horse is legal to hunt and shoot from , however the
Machine cannot be moving.

Since my shoulder injury on opening day I haven’t been able too is any of my ladder stands, so I’ve had too improvise. LOL

812-C6823-BFAF-4925-88-D9-4973-DFEB4579.png

Back in the mid 60's i met two older gentlemen who hunted deer with ponies very successfully.

I tried elk hunting one time without horses, I'll never do that again. I want to get a deer hide this year and put in Ruger's stall to get him used to the smell. I would like to try him on packing out a deer maybe next year. Might be a goal this summer to get him ready for packing.

DSC05305.JPG
Ha, Bumble Bee gets me to places like this. :) 125 horses. He gets me back into the woods when the snow is six foot deep, so I can look for Mr.Kitty. I would never hunt from, or off a machine. Once I get deep into the woods, or up the mountain, I shut the Bumble Bee off, put on the snowshoes, and go where no one else could, should, or would go. :)

Using a horse for a decoy or diversion has always appealed to me. However, when I had horses I never had the time to deal with it properly. It seems they all tried their best to try to maim me in some fashion, either by stepping on my foot, trying to rare up or simply bucking. After my brother's horse tried to decapitate him by running under a guy wire on a power pole, I decided that they were all evil demons with one purpose in life, to make life miserable for anyone who tried to ride them.

Back