• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Guns of Tipu Sultan.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Tippoos lock has us all thinking even while getting ex rays !. The top of the U shaped member dos'nt link other than to be pushed down by the tumbler so the pan cover will expose the pan to prime its feather spring presumably quite light so no need to have a big self prime vent or need to sing any sort of song while stirring tea with your toes it is true that the rapidly descending match coal can push out the prime without igniting it is why I grind prime up to snuff like dust for range use with snap matchlocks like the Mary Rose Venition sorts or Jap ones .However Tippoos lock had a definite shoulder on the serpentine / cock and the Tiger head holder seems to have a locking device so that its descent can be well adjusted (Which is more than you could say for Tipppoo!) you might be waiting a while till I get round to making one but it is on my' to do 'list. Normal Indian Match locks seem to need a thin match cord but Tippoos looks like a big round cord is better suited the same old window sash cord we commonly use . For all his failings he obviously believed in "Build a better matchlock & the World will beat a path to your door !".
Regards Rudyard

Three more of the lock which may help any attempt at reproduction or understanding their workings:
q.jpeg
20170825_081755.jpg
carbine_lock.jpg

Somewhat off topic but I note that SOE Assistant Section Officer Noor Inayat Khan (code name Madeleine), George Cross, MiD, Croix de Guerre avec Etoile de Vermeil 1914-1944. A direct descendant of Tipu Sultan, she has been honoured with a Blue Plaque in Taviton Street, Bloomsbury, London. Under her code name 'Madeleine' she was an SOE Radio Operator Agent who was flown into France in 1943 and ran local agents until she was betrayed and sent to Dachau after long and brutal interrogations. Finally being executed on the 13th of September 1944.

Born in Moscow of an Indian father and American mother she was educated in Paris, with a degree in Child Psychology, and fled to Britain where she joined the WRAF as a radio operator until being selected for SOE training when she applied for a Commission.

Whilst I find these Tipu Sultan/Seringapatam matchlocks fascinating my respect must go to Noor Khan and her sacrifice for others. Amongst her other awards a George cross is not lightly earned. May she rest in peace/سکون سے آرام کرو.
800px-noorinayatkhan-480x640.jpg
2020_08_30_103327_1598753393._large.jpg

Last edited:
Continued experimentation with matchlocks at the turn of the 19th Century. And the continued use by locals up to at least the mid point of that Century. They were so reluctant to give up their matchlocks. It's one of those historical gun stories for the ages.

Rick

Thank you for the above re. Noor Khan, John.

RE the lock, The wedge we see in the scear spring is a spring which bears against the bolt, which slides ahead to lock the tumbler. This is exactly like we see on normal flint and percussion "bolted locks".
The pan Has to open manually, to prime, and seems to do so and Notchy suggests.

Hi Richard

Thanks for that info. I did not know this. I knew that the flint quality in the Middle Eastern regions was considered sub-par to the English black and French amber. But the lack of flint mines altogether, that makes sense. And even with all the British influence, they were not likely to give up their barrels of flints to the locals. LOL

Rick

Back