• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Guns of Tipu Sultan.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rudyard asked me to post these photos of guns owned by Tipu Sultan.
Photos a bit fuzzy, but they do show some interesting details.
If anyone has clearer photos, I'm sure they would be appreciated.

Best,
Richard.
thumbnail_IMG_9238.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_9239 2.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_9241 4.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_9242 5.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_9243 6.jpg

I've never seen guns like these before.

The matchlock "frizzen" shaped like a little Englishman, in the bottom photo, must have been some sort of political statement. Interesting!

I'm trying to figure out how these locks worked, based on the image of the internal mechanism. I'm guessing this must be a "snapping" matchlock, correct? If that's the case, what stops the fall or forward motion of the match-holder, or "hammer"?

It's good to see arms from other parts of the world now and then. Thanks for posting!

Notchy Bob

Thank you once again Pukka & Reawald . Yes our Tippoo was a bit of a lad rather a nuisance but he was a Gun nut with emagination .The Automaton is no doubt one of Tippoo's toys . The match locks are not Snap locks but the trigger pull allows the links to push the pan cover away as the serpentine decsends .So the little man rolls backwards exposeing the prime .It is provided with a sliding bolt to keep the serpentine (Usual term) erect.. The unusual leaf designs are all based on the stripes of a Tiger '.Bubris' being the term to describe them ( his soldiers wore the bubries on their uniforms) .
He made fruit cakes look rational. But he did have style !, until he suffered from a surfeit of King Georges blue plums at the storming of his fortress at Seringapatam in 1799 a useful bit of practice for the future Duke of Wellington who learnt his trade in India . Whether the Flint locks interchanged they possibly could since the scear / vent relationship might allow it but I rather doubt the soldier had any spare lock about him in his kit. These M' lock pieces being perhaps some household guard or just Tippoos Fancy there where only a few and they all differ .definatly not an army wide issue they would be common match locks or perhaps some flintlocks . Trust you find them interesting.
Regards Rudyard

You are quite welcome Notchy Bob ' They are rather 'From left field' compared to the run of guns. But I think it would be fun to make one up .Definatly not quite the ' Pre 1840 High Pains' but Ide risk it at a R vous. I once shot a Scots snaphance pistol at a R vous but I added a dog catch as I was sure some range officer would not approve a just full cock or at rest pistol .I entered it at Dixons Fair in 'journeyman' as it was the only gun I had. ( I would Never claim to be'' Master' & well past' Novice' so figured ide be as 'Journey man' as youd'e ever find ! ) .They where all over it like a rash all no doubt experts with US stuff but the' Snapis' was too ' left field ish' . They questioned why the ' Knurling at the muzzle' . ( It was the base of a thistle and hand filed). But they gave it first place in that class . Wood stocked Lemon butt. Wood was mulberry for want of better . However I digress.
Regards Rudyard

I've never seen guns like these before.

The matchlock "frizzen" shaped like a little Englishman, in the bottom photo, must have been some sort of political statement. Interesting!

I'm trying to figure out how these locks worked, based on the image of the internal mechanism. I'm guessing this must be a "snapping" matchlock, correct? If that's the case, what stops the fall or forward motion of the match-holder, or "hammer"?

It's good to see arms from other parts of the world now and then. Thanks for posting!

Notchy Bob
You are spot on about the political statement. If you google him an auction shows some great examples of his stuff and tells how he fought the English with gusto!

Having a look at the back of the Match lock it looks like it is essentially a flintlock. So the cock is stopped by the top of the lock plate.
Possibly had a much lighter mainspring. A strong one wouldn't be needed for a matchlock.
Think I read this guy had his own armory that churned out flintlocks and the Matchlock was likely made for Tipu as he fancied something different.
Oh yeah and he had a thing for tigers. Not that you would notice looking at his stuff.

If you're in for a good read, Bernard Cornwell's novel, Sharpe's Tiger, deals with the Tippoo and the siege of Seringapatam and the paperback copy I have has a similar in style flintlock on the cover. The Sharpe's series of novels about the adventures of Richard Sharpe in His Majesty's Service were made into a TV series that I can occasionally catch. I'm a big fan of Cornwell's novels especially his ones concerning English archers in novels like Agincourt, 1356, and The Archer's Tale. Rousing good books.

Attachments

• tiger.JPG
    tiger.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 94
Tippoo ran out of 'gusto' at Seringapatam . Frightfull cad but he did have style.
What isn't clear is the trigger & scear acts on the tumbler pulling the front part down, it in turn forces the U shape link to pull the pan cover open there are no other springs save the external feather spring which I assess must be light. Well there is a bolt spring & a scear spring. Just no main spring. Such fun and yes Tippoo had a hoste of French & capable Indian gun makers . Cheers Rudyard

Last edited:
This may be of passing interest. Photographed at the Chennai museum.
The carriage is of more recent date.

Attachments

• DSCF0589.JPG
    DSCF0589.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCF0590.JPG
    DSCF0590.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCF0591.JPG
    DSCF0591.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 125
Hi Richard

Thanks for posting this. Most interesting Thread. It's interesting to note the persistent use of the matchlock in this Region over such a long period of time. By the turn of the 19th Century flintlocks were in common use for at least 150 years, in one form or another.

Rick

Dear Rick. Thought you would like Tippoo,s guns . I sent Pukka a few more detailed & three of a Turkish Fergusson . Iv'e got one of the glass gajets but not quite adept enough to use it yet. He,s still vexed by haying & harvesting but no doubt will send the pics presently
Rudyard

Hi Richard

You should be able to download the PDF. Then go back to your download file and attach like you would a normal photo. It worked for me in the Spanish lock Thread I just posted.

Rick

I will add text to the pics the three of a Miguelet Fergusson are from the collections at the Glenbow Museum Calgary. clearly they where intrigued by the BL principal but didn't want the 'funny stock shape' it once had .So stocked it' properly ' according to their tastes . The Tippoo additional are just to clarify the internals & some more details .Well I fancy making one up .its on my' to do' list of cool . Thank you Pukka.
Regards Rudyard .

I discovered a "workaround" for saving photos and images which can't be copied or saved in the usual way.

If you can bring the image up on your screen, whether a PDF or a website, take a "screenshot," which is done by pressing the button marked Prt/Scr (or something like that... I'm on a touchscreen device right now). Your computer will save the image of your entire screen and put it in a folder labeled Screenshots. Open that folder and then open the image you saved. Your computer thinks the screenshot is an ordinary photograph at this point, and will offer you the Edit option in the toolbar across the top. Select "Edit & Create," and you can then crop the screenshot down to just the image you want. Save the changes, and you have your picture.

It sounds complicated, and it is, sort of, but once you get the hang of it, you can save images that might otherwise be hard to share.

Good luck! This thread has been fascinating. You fellows from distant lands have a whole different perspective on guns and shooting. I enjoy your posts.

Notchy Bob

Back