Gunpowder Bags

Discussion in 'Historically Accurate Equipment' started by Crewdawg445, Apr 30, 2017.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jan 11, 2019 at 12:19 PM #21

Shawnee Mike

Shawnee Mike

Shawnee Mike

40 Cal.

Snapper, Yes you are correct. I have seen that reference as well. In my case, it was specific to Native use. Like you, i did not save it.

2. Jan 11, 2019 at 1:56 PM #22

Snapper Petta

Snapper Petta

Snapper Petta

32 Cal

Mike - Thanks for your post. It always helps an old man like me to realize I wasn't dreaming that I saw this ;).

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

3. Jan 13, 2019 at 12:00 AM #23

Le Loup

Le Loup

Le Loup

32 Cal.

I would imagine everyone had a powder horn, it would not be practicle to use a gunpowder bag in this fashion. Easy enough to transfer gunpowder from a bag to a horn, but as you say, not practicle to use the bag in the same fashion as a powder horn. The bag was for carrying extra gunpowder, that is all.
    Keith.

4. Jan 13, 2019 at 10:29 PM #24

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Just a thought... and I’m a man of my times and not then, we can learn the skills, but we can’t change our brain.
    However, here goes. You get anywhere from 50 to two hundred shots from a pound, I bet a lot of folks lived in a low settled area that was pretty safe as far as fighting Indians or bad guys was concerned, but had a lot of small game, and in season fowl to hunt. Food went on the table but it was fun.
    You didn’t need a keg of powder, but you needed more then a horn full, a thick canvas or waxed leather bag, in a house made a lot of sense.
    Maybe????

Le Loup likes this.
  5. Jan 14, 2019 at 1:47 AM #25

RHensley

RHensley

RHensley

Pilgrim

I would think that powder in a water proof bag would the very thing to carry on a long hunt. Thinking that you just didn't shoot everything. On a long hunt they were probably trapping so they would get a lot of there meat that way. A lot of the time they had to carry everything they needed on there person so 2-5 lbs of powder (just guessing) 2-3 lbs of lead then there trap (if steel they might have 2) then cloth for a shelter and sleeping . I doubt if they had extra cloths. All this would add up to a lot of weight. 2 or 3 flat bags of powder would be better to pack also. I know there were things I didn't mention like a fish hook and line. you know little things flint and steel. I bet there back pack got pretty heavy.

Le Loup likes this.
  6. Jan 14, 2019 at 3:10 AM #26

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Many of the long hunters were a horse or a float. Still saving weight and expense was important. And no use buying too much powder and not enough rum.

7. Jan 14, 2019 at 10:28 PM #27

Le Loup

Le Loup

Le Loup

32 Cal.

[​IMG]

8. Jan 14, 2019 at 10:29 PM #28

Le Loup

Le Loup

Le Loup

32 Cal.

[​IMG]