• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gunners Mate Drinkwater reporting aboard, Sir.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings from The Republic of Vermont (est. 1777), home of Robert's Rangers, Ethan Allen, and USS Eagle.
Been fooling around with black powder since 1966, but on my own, as I'm not much of a joiner. Back in the 60s and 70s muzzle loading shoots were a real blast, but then life got complicated and other "priorities" seduced my attention until I retired a few years ago. Currently building a .45 flintlock longrifle to go with my assortment of Hawken style T/Cs and CVAs and the hybrid 1873 Springfield/Numrich Instant Muzzleloader mongrel that started it all. Glad to be aboard, Sir, where do I hang my hammock?
Welcome to you from neighboring New Hampshire.

BUT I MUST point out a minor inaccuracy in your intro. Major Robert Rogers and his Rangers were native to New Hampshire and without doubt, many of the men came from Massachusetts — but they did NOT call Vermont home.

During the French and Indian War, they were active in the Hudson River Valley of present day New York, and in the Lake George (Fort William Henry) and Lake Champlain (Fort Carillon later known as Ticonderoga) areas. I am certain they spent considerable time in present day Vermont, but it was not home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers'_Rangers

Last edited:
TRADEVMEN install, repair, modify and maintain audio/visual training aids, including instructional films, slides, and recordings; perform organizational and intermediate level maintenance on training devices: operate and perform organizational maintenance on equipment used in conjunction with training devices and ancillary equipment to train and maintain the proficiency of individuals and/or teams; assist in the development, operation, and/or improvement of training programs of supported activities; and construct, devise, or obtain training aids.

Welcome. Another interesting Navy rate gone by the wayside.

Welcome to you from neighboring New Hampshire.

BUT I MUST point out a minor inaccuracy in your intro. Major Robert Rogers and his Rangers were native to New Hampshire and without doubt, many of the men came from Massachusetts — but they did NOT call Vermont home.

During the French and Indian War, they were active in the Hudson River Valley of present day New York, and in the Lake George (Fort William Henry) and Lake Champlain (Fort Carillon later known as Ticonderoga) areas. I am certain they spent considerable time in present day Vermont, but it was not home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers'_Rangers
Roger that. Before the Republic of Vermont, it was the New Hampshire Grants (sometimes called "Wentworth's Empire"), and it's residents tended to consider themselves New Hampshire-men. According to Vermont history as taught in school, many of Roberts' troops were actually grantsmen. They usually drilled with their neighbors across the Connecticut. And many of them left their bones here.
Thanks for the friendly welcome.

Last edited:
TRADEVMEN install, repair, modify and maintain audio/visual training aids, including instructional films, slides, and recordings; perform organizational and intermediate level maintenance on training devices: operate and perform organizational maintenance on equipment used in conjunction with training devices and ancillary equipment to train and maintain the proficiency of individuals and/or teams; assist in the development, operation, and/or improvement of training programs of supported activities; and construct, devise, or obtain training aids.

Welcome. Another interesting Navy rate gone by the wayside.
Thanks, OMW. It was a fascinating time, full of new and challenging experiences, but not a lifestyle I could sustain for a career. It was a great grounding for my civilian life. The TD rate was abolished because it just became too complex to amortize the lengthy and expensive training in a four year hitch. It was cheaper to contract it out to tech support personnel from the equipment manufacturers.

Thanks, shipmates, for the warm welcome! Looking forward to good times here. Did anyone make it to the Southern Vermont Primitive Biathlon this weekend? Fun time!

Back