• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun with a Cross

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randal Zartman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The other night I was enjoying pictures of the artwork many of you folks have built. I came across one with a cross on the cheek piece with a silver ribbon inlay above it. I wanted to show it to a friend and can't find the picture again. Can anybody help? Thanks
Zman ::

Zman, that is a rifle I built. It is on the WELCOME forum. Scroll down to "New to Forum and Black Powder" by Insurrection 1517, dated July 10. If you want to see other rifles I built, just click on my name (Herb), or any other name you want to look up. That takes you to the member's profile. At the bottom of that screen is a link "Show member's posts". Click on that and you'll have all that member's posts. I have photos in a number of them, not all identified as the Photo forum.

Thanks Herb, I thought it was a gun that you posted a picture of but I forgot where it was. I am in the process of building my first longrifle and was inspired by the cross. I want to start drawing something like that to see if I can put it on my gun. So much inspiration on this website that I am just going to have to build more guns. Thanks again.
Zman

Zman- to save others having to look at the Welcome forum, here are those pictures. This is a .50 cal Green Mtn 38" bbl, L&R Classic Cap Lock Conversion, Track's grade 4 Southern Mtn stock. Brass furniture with sterling silver inlays, handmade peep sight.
jimmfull.jpg

Jimm wanted a religious theme for his rifle, including the verse from Isaiah engraved on the patchpox. Hoot Gibson of Rangely, CO engraved the words.
jimmpatch.jpg

Here's the cheek side with carved wooden cross. I sawed out the sterling silver inlays. My friend, Randy, cast the silver stars. The banner above the cross reads "The Truth The Life The Way. The ding plate reads "Fear not I am With You".
jimmcheek.jpg

And, yes, it shoots. This is me. The top right target is four shots at 50 yards with 50 gr 3F Goex at 1441 fps. Bottom right is 100 grains of Pyrodex RS, 3 shots at 1900 fps, roundballs.
jimmherb.jpg

Nice looking rifle and those two groups on the right are terrific! :applause:

Thanks, atr and Gary. Here is a picture of the sideplate.
jimmsidepl.jpg
When Jimm said he wanted me to build him a rifle, he knew nothing about MLs. I gave him a list of reference books so he could choose some rifles he liked. He got the book "Kentucky Rifles and Pistols, 1750-1850" and picked the percussion rifle on page 155. So the cheek and wrist inlays were copied from that rifle. The rest were Jimm's choice.

Latest posts

Back