Gun vs bow...

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Musketeer

50 Cal.
Reaction score
There are two videos pertinent to this discussion, but they don't exactly fit in with traditional muzzleloading directly, so I won't link to them. Search youtube for:

"Why ballistic gel works and caliber arguments are dumb"

and

"Clayton Coyle elk"

The first is some excellent discussion of how and why bullets work (including velocity thresholds) and the second is an excellent example of how effective a sharp and well-placed broadhead can be. Granted, it was accomplished with modern tackle, but well-made ancient tackle in the hands of a skilled archer could have produced similar results. :thumb:

rickpa

36 Cl.
Reaction score
So, how did you do in the 3D competitions?
Not bragging but I had shelves full of first, second, and third place trophies. At that time my wife was a Girl Scout leader so for their summer camp activities which included archery, I took off all the name plates and donated the trophies to the Scouts so that every girl had a trophy for doing the archery activity. I saved the plates and mounted them on plaques. A quick count of the plates shows 57 of them.

Nameless Hunter

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
a trebuchet defended holler near Nameless, TN
Presuming they open as designed.
Here in Idaho and neighboring Oregon, expanding broadheads are specifically prohibited when archery hunting. Regardless of if using a longbow, recurve, compound bow, or crossbow.

For what it's worth, after checking the hunting regs in all 50 states, all Canadian Provinces, Mexico, South America, and random European, Asian, and African nations, Idaho and Oregon are the only two places on this rock that require fixed blade broadheads and prohibit expanding broadheads.
Note that some, but not all, African big game require the archer to use a fixed blade. The "Big 5" for example, all require a metal fixed blade broadhead if you're ... umm ... crazy ... enough to hunt them with a bow...
(personally, I wouldn't go after a bear of any kind with a bow, either.)
I've bear hunted with a bud that had a history of hunting bears with a bow. He recalled one rather large black bear that he shot from a tree stand in Eastern Canada. The bear saw him in the tree, stood up on his hind legs, and woofed at him. He let fly, straight through the chest/heart for full pass-through into the dirt. The bear ran off. His guide showed up later... "I've never shot one that well with full pass-through and have it run off like that". They tracked it to the edge of some really thick brush, with a hole/cave going through. Comment to the guide "I think this is what I pay you for...". The guide crawled through with his backup rifle - dead bear. I would hunt with a bow (but would like some kind of backup. At least a 22 - to shoot my guide in the leg...

elkslayer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have often wondered why early 19th century armies didn't adopt the use of bows as their supply of gunpowder and lead ran low. Maybe it is as simple as there not being a good supply of bows and arrows or time to train soldiers.

It sure seems like firing volleys of arrows at rank upon rank of Union Soldiers at a rapid rate would have been at least as devastating as rifles. Same for American patriots firing at advancing rows of British soldiers.

Boston123

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have often wondered why early 19th century armies didn't adopt the use of bows as their supply of gunpowder and lead ran low. Maybe it is as simple as there not being a good supply of bows and arrows or time to train soldiers.

It sure seems like firing volleys of arrows at rank upon rank of Union Soldiers at a rapid rate would have been at least as devastating as rifles. Same for American patriots firing at advancing rows of British soldiers.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/6kx1uq
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/4l72sn
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/18984h
AskHistorians is one of the better subreddits to get info from, because sources have to be cited or supported in some fashion, or answers will be deleted

Regarding the American Revolution: Benjamin Franklin actually suggested it. People with actual military experience did the 18th century equivalent of "pfft, no"