• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Gun Stock Wax?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Minwax brand, I usually find at Lowes is what I was taught to use years ago. Found out that it helps protect the metal and fills a few unsightly cracks also. I bought a can yrs ago and still using out of it, buy the dark.
Yup, my can of Minwax Paste Wax is about six years old and still very good.

I have the same wax, but a lot older and it still works. Just have to keep the lid down and tight.

Wax........Of course. That's the final coat of finish, and first coat of maintenance application. Wait until the final coat of whatever you apply ,allow for finish stabilization ,then apply a couple coats of ,Minwax , Special Dark Furniture Wax. I prefer the Special Dark , because ,if there might be a tiny gap to fill around the lock mortise , side plate , etc. , the dark fills itand will not cook out inhot weather conditions ,and a big can is under 12 bucks.....oldwood

Ive always used tung oil as my final coat. Well I just finished a stock with gun stock wax.
Im taking it back down this summer and redoing it.
The finsh is not nearly as deep as the tung oil.

Renaissance Wax if you want a glossy warm glow, Axe Wax if you just want the warm glow.

Apply over any finish, buff out with an old cotton wash cloth. To repair the finish if needed at any point a simple wipe of acetone will remove all traces of any wax.

Back