• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun Stock Finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I was advised by an old gun builder and given a formula for a stock finish. I have lost the formula. My memory was one third bees wax, one third gum spirits turpentine, and one third murphy's oil soap. you melt this in a double boiler and mix together. The result is almost the constancy of a paste wax. He told me that this was how many old guns were finished. It has served me well for many years but I need to make a new batch. I need someone to confirm my formula or give me the correct ingredients and ratios. Thanks in advance

Everyt sounds great except the Murphy’s oil soap. You need some type of oil FINISH. A varnish of some sort to make that work.
Soap is NOT a finish.

Here is my recipe given to me by an very old gunsmith. New finish: First three coats is 50% turpentine and 50% linseed. After that 30% bees wax, 30% turpentine, and 40% linseed. Rub it in and polish. Dings don't show up as much and it is really water resistant. As with most of this type of formula you have to upkeep it from time to time by applying and polishing.

Everyt sounds great except the Murphy’s oil soap. You need some type of oil FINISH. A varnish of some sort to make that work.
Soap is NOT a finish.
Talk about all of the "stuff" you use for stock finish, I will keep on using my first good finish TruOil Beechwood Casey stock finish with Tung oil, works for me.

This is the recipe for a gun finish that was given to me by an old time gun builder-

12% BLO
23% Turpentine
16% Shellac
21% Beeswax
9% Dish soap (Dawn is ok, but Ajax is better)
19% Naptha
6% Fish oil

Back