Gun show!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Pete453

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Relic Shooter, the newer Ubertis have faster twists in them. Im not sure when the change was made, but i read it here in an older post. I just bought an 1860 and the rifling makes 1/2 a turn in 8 inches, so approximately a16 inch twist. It may be cheaper and faster to buy a new barrel from Taylors or VTI Gun parts and fit it to your gun. Then you would still have the original for a future project, like an avenging angel.

Reaction score
Relic Shooter, the newer Ubertis have faster twists in them. Im not sure when the change was made, but i read it here in an older post. I just bought an 1860 and the rifling makes 1/2 a turn in 8 inches, so approximately a16 inch twist. It may be cheaper and faster to buy a new barrel from Taylors or VTI Gun parts and fit it to your gun. Then you would still have the original for a future project, like an avenging angel.
Thanks for the Uberti revolver update Pete453, I wasn't aware of their positive change to faster twist rifling. Maybe someone will page in with the date this change became effective. I do recall seeing an original avenging angel marked 1860 Colt with chopped barrel at the Salt Lake gun show about 30 years ago.
I believe that barrel had been cut to about 2" & had virtually zero twist due to the processive twist rifling pattern, these pistols were obviously intended to be used up close & personal.

M. De Land

75 Cal.
Reaction score
I just have to share today’s gun show finds. Not great deals, but good deals - all 2003-2005 Ubertis, I paid about $500 less than I would have for all three for new-in-the-box models.

Top: 1st model Dragoon with box, no paperwork. Notice the trigger guard. Has anyone else see the oval trigger guard on Uberti’s 1st model?

Middle: 1851 Navy with box and paperwork. Looks unfired and not even a handling mark anywhere. Beautiful action too.

Bottom: 1849 pocket, no box. Like the 1851 this gun is perfect.

Like I said, not great deals but I’m happy. 😁
Nice find, I'm still in the hunt for a good used steel frame 51. I have a 62,58,60 and ROA that I rarely shoot any more but would like to round out with a 51 when one comes up at a show. I shoot monthly muzzle loading rifle outdoors, spring to fall, but in cold weather indoor muzzle loaders and black powder cartridge gong shoots outside.

Reaction score
I made my first BP purchases at a gun show in New Mexico a few years ago. The best deals I’ve made were at a Montana gun show a couple of years ago for five revolvers from three different sellers - pre pandemic. I spent $700 for all five. Reselling just two of them paid for those that I kept. The gun show this last March wasn’t that good to me but I have kept the three guns that I bought. They’re all nearly mint and in fine working order. I’m hoping to find one or two deals this fall. 🫰

Eutycus

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Most gun shows have the kind of things I really don't need or want but am willing to look at.And especially here lately they don't have much in BP. But I like the atmosphere (some of it anyway).