• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun show!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I just have to share today’s gun show finds. Not great deals, but good deals - all 2003-2005 Ubertis, I paid about $500 less than I would have for all three for new-in-the-box models.

Top: 1st model Dragoon with box, no paperwork. Notice the trigger guard. Has anyone else see the oval trigger guard on Uberti’s 1st model?

Middle: 1851 Navy with box and paperwork. Looks unfired and not even a handling mark anywhere. Beautiful action too.

Bottom: 1849 pocket, no box. Like the 1851 this gun is perfect.

Like I said, not great deals but I’m happy. 😁

Attachments

• E3ED5F0C-25CF-43DE-9D7B-BA34552C7EE1.jpeg
    E3ED5F0C-25CF-43DE-9D7B-BA34552C7EE1.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 108
I will be attending a gun show tomorrow and let's hope that they have some "finds" there. Congratulations on your "finds".

Last edited:
kh54, nice guns there. Just curious, how did you determine the Dragoon is a First Model? The only rounded trigger guard that I am familiar with on the Dragoon is the Third Model?
Thanks, Z :thumb:

Last edited:
I’d say that the replica guns we have available to us are not always 100% correct, but are still a lot of fun. And I agree that a round trigger guard would be more correct on a third model.

@Zulch and @Phil Coffins, you may have noticed in my original post that I was already aware that the trigger guard is wrong. The latch and oval bolt stops are correct and I'm not sure about the front sight. I wouldn't know what else to look for.

Uberti's square trigger guard is available for $40. I'll probably end up getting one. I'm just a bit of a perfectionist.

Thanks for your interest and information!

@Zulch and @Phil Coffins, you may have noticed in my original post that I was already aware that the trigger guard is wrong. The latch and oval bolt stops are correct and I'm not sure about the front sight. I wouldn't know what else to look for.

Uberti's square trigger guard is available for $40. I'll probably end up getting one. I'm just a bit of a perfectionist.

Thanks for your interest and information!
Then you’ll want to have gain twist rifling! :ghostly:

The original owner probably swapped out the trigger guard - maybe the square one hurt his fingers? I believe they're interchangeable. Or, perhaps whoever assembled the gun at the factory got it wrong. I replaced the backstrap on a third series Dragoon and it took quite a bit of fitting, filing, sanding and polishing to make it right. It wasn't a plug and play by any means.

The barrel length looks short on the Dragoon compared to the 51.

It's just the effect of their relative positions. I'm not at home to measure but I did compare the photo and the barrel lengths are the same.

@Dude, who is/was the manufacturer and of what vintage is your Dragoon? This one I just got is post-CNC era so I think replacing the trigger guard should work fine. Should... 😶

@Dude, who is/was the manufacturer and of what vintage is your Dragoon? This one I just got is post-CNC era so I think replacing the trigger guard should work fine. Should... 😶
Mine's a Uberti - got it new from Midway last fall. There was a lot of tension on the backstrap so tried bending it a little. Bad idea - it broke the two tabs that straddle the hammer. Ouch. The replacement was rough finished and didn't fit the same and required reshaping the grips.

In your case, I'd think the trigger guard would be much easier, and not require messing with the grips. But I don't think it'll be plug-n-play. The rest of the gun, being metal has tighter tolerances, but the grip frames get matched to the wood, so replacements are shipped accounting for that. At least, that's what I was told.

Then you’ll want to have gain twist rifling! :ghostly:
Hi Phil;
Great point you brought up the gain-twist twist rifling, a feature that is found on original Colts & Remingtons !!
Many who shoot competition with revolvers chose originals to obtain optimum accuracy or found a gunsmith who would reline barrels on their replicas with gain or faster twist rifling,, or shoot a ROA that have fast twist rifling.
You know of any gunsmiths who are still doing these type of barrel modifications ?
relic shooter

Much thanks for the tip Phil.
To be honest I brought the re-lining question up more for fellow forum members who might be interested. I've heard many good things about Mr. Hoyt but wasn't aware that he would reline pistol barrels :thumb:
Unfortunately I'm now older than dirt & resemble the photo you have posted so don't get in much shooting in these days but still greatly enjoy collecting & promoting our history backed shooting sport.
relic shooter

That’s my high school graduation picture! :) 12 years and graduated the sixth grade.
Ha !! Good one :<))
Consider posting your pistol re-line project on the forum.
I think forum members would enjoy learning about this option, especially competitive shooters with repro revolvers.
relic shooter

Back