• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Gun show find

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to a gun show this last weekend and saw these.

Attachments

• IMG_20191019_092225856.jpg
    IMG_20191019_092225856.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_20191019_091803010.jpg
    IMG_20191019_091803010.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 277
The best deal I ever heard of was made by a gentleman in New Hampshire who went to an estate auction and bought an old wooden tool carrier with an unspecified group of rusty old tools in it --- hammer, pliers, screw driver, etc. --- for $10. When he got home he decided to see what he had and emptied it out. In the bottom was a revolver, brown with age, with wooden grips and a long barrel. He couldn't find any markings on it but thought it looked like a "cowboy pistol" so he called Colt and finally got to talk to someone in their museum. He described the piece, then took some photos and sent them. Turned out he had bought Colt SAA,
Serial Number 001. All S/N Ones are ear-marked for the Colt Museum but this one got away somehow and they had been looking for it since some time in 1873. The way I heard the story, he sold it to them for a very nice profit!

Not all of the good stuff is in the hands of collectors. Depending on what you like there's always a nice piece out there to be discovered. Remember guns have been around for well over 2 hundred years now. Somebody always has a old gun passed down thru the family and has no need for it at this time. Learn about what you like/Love and you can also have a nice collection.

The best deal I ever heard of was made by a gentleman in New Hampshire who went to an estate auction and bought an old wooden tool carrier with an unspecified group of rusty old tools in it --- hammer, pliers, screw driver, etc. --- for $10. When he got home he decided to see what he had and emptied it out. In the bottom was a revolver, brown with age, with wooden grips and a long barrel. He couldn't find any markings on it but thought it looked like a "cowboy pistol" so he called Colt and finally got to talk to someone in their museum. He described the piece, then took some photos and sent them. Turned out he had bought Colt SAA,
Serial Number 001. All S/N Ones are ear-marked for the Colt Museum but this one got away somehow and they had been looking for it since some time in 1873. The way I heard the story, he sold it to them for a very nice profit!
Eh. Sounds like one of those tales that circulate, just sayin'...

Eh. Sounds like one of those tales that circulate, just sayin'...
Perhaps, but still entirely possible. An older gent at the gun club I worked at in high school collected old lever actions. Was a retired residential handyman, and when at a customer's house would always carry 1 fifty dollar bill in his pocket and no other money.

If he happened to see a dusty old rifle in a basement or attic, he'd ask about it. Often the response would be something like "Oh, yeah. That was my dad's, he used to hunt", or something like that. He 'd offer the 50 he had on him, and walked away with some amazing finds. He had over 100 old Winchester and Marlins, including an original '66, an original Henry, and an 1873 1 of 1000. RIP, Walter D., you were a genius.

Maybe so .... I don't know for certain because I wasn't there when it allegedly happened, but I heard it from a reputable local source there and I'm inclined to believe it. I once purchased what I first thought was a cut-down musket with the ramrod gone and parts missing from the lock. The piece was filthy and covered with dust and cobwebs. I paid what the seller asked, which wasn't much. When carefully cleaned, it turned out to be an original 1803 Harper's Ferry rifle, apparently unfired. The missing parts, other than the ramrod, were the top jaw of the cock and the top jaw screw. That one I know to be true because I was involved.

Not all of the good stuff is in the hands of collectors. Depending on what you like there's always a nice piece out there to be discovered. Remember guns have been around for well over 2 hundred years now. Somebody always has a old gun passed down thru the family and has no need for it at this time. Learn about what you like/Love and you can also have a nice collection.
You are correct. Each day, someone passes away in every state in the Union, who owns firearms of some sort. Depending on state laws, usually survivors just take them and quietly own them with no accounting or paperwork whatsoever. They may be sold or auctioned, but many times, the nephews, sons, etc., just take 'em to enjoy. Many of us have seen this happen;

Fastback,
I too had to learn to shoot LH. I put a set of sights together that let me shoot RH with my left eye. It was approved for use at Friendship.

I am right handed but can NOT shoot a rifle or bow right handed due to a predominate left eye. Weird? Not as weird as the fact my wife and daughter are the same! My son is "normal", right handed and right eyed LOL

Twas it me I'd a kept that pistol for a long time and shot the heck outta it! Then maybe trade off for Ticklicker or similar item LOL!

To answer Springfield Art's question:
According to the story I got, Colt SAA S/N #1 was sold to the Colt Museum and is now on display with all the other S/N 1's ever manufactured. I've never been to that museum and never seen their display catalog, so can't say for sure one way or the other. If you're sincerely interested, you might contact them and ask. Let us all know what you find out, please?

I am right handed but can NOT shoot a rifle or bow right handed due to a predominate left eye. Weird? Not as weird as the fact my wife and daughter are the same! My son is "normal", right handed and right eyed LOL
Interesting, so genetics determine the dominate eye? Wonder if my brother shoots "goofy eyed" like me?

Latest posts

Back