gun show find - percussion long gun

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Sam squanch

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Thank you for the pictures! The builder seemed to do a good job with the limited tools he had. Looks like he had seen a percussion lock before!

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
and just when you think that you have seen it all??!! one never knows does one??

mhb

40 Cal.
Reaction score
That is by far the best native-made lock from SEA I've ever seen, and the only bridled lock, though the tumbler does not have an internal trunnion. This is just more evidence of the workmanship of the maker - the barrel even has a hooked breech! FWIW, the lock and sideplate are probably made from available sheet steel, though they could have been made from knife blades. The trigger guard is much nicer looking than the usual strip of sheet brass or steel. Note, however, the use of ordinary hardware screws for the lock - good use of available materials. I bow to a mechanic.

mhb - MIke

hrt4me

40 Cal
Reaction score
That is by far the best native-made lock from SEA I've ever seen, and the only bridled lock, though the tumbler does not have an internal trunnion. This is just more evidence of the workmanship of the maker - the barrel even has a hooked breech! FWIW, the lock and sideplate are probably made from available sheet steel, though they could have been made from knife blades. The trigger guard is much nicer looking than the usual strip of sheet brass or steel. Note, however, the use of ordinary hardware screws for the lock - good use of available materials. I bow to a mechanic.

mhb - MIke
I, too, was rather impressed by what they made, given what I imagined they had to start and work with

Reactions: mhb

Kno-ie

36 Cl.
Reaction score
hrt4me,

Pulled out my older computer and checked it's history and found a couple sites you may wish to visit on you tube that may show the relationship of your find and what they build. One is Konyak Naga, Chee life style and Bom Wang Vogs. I'll for warn you that they speak in their native language, there is a lot film on the operation of building, rifles, making powder and primers. Some of these builds are masterpieces in hand construction and some I wouldn't even use as a boat anchor. Hope this helps.

hrt4me

40 Cal
Reaction score
thank you, it did help, and I watched some very interesting videos

for one, I had never before even heard of this tribe, so that fascinated me in and of itself