• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Gun-maker's Vise

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So which of the two vices is the better quality, has better adaptability, and other pluses? OR---are they the same bird, just different colors? I took a picture of one and compared it to the other on my computer screen. Other than color, both look the same, same curves, and other distinguishing features. The one from Grizzly retails at $157, on sale for $130, and they offer a discount promotion of 5% for over $50 purchase, final cost around $123.00. Woodrivers price is $155.00 retail, no on sale/discount. I'd be willing to pay the extra $32 for the Woodriver if better quality/features, but they look like the same horse, just different paint.

I don't know about woodriver's but my Grizzly is identical to my Teacher's Woodcraft vise. I suspect these are made in the same factory but I don't know for certain.

So which of the two vices is the better quality, has better adaptability, and other pluses? OR---are they the same bird, just different colors? I took a picture of one and compared it to the other on my computer screen. Other than color, both look the same, same curves, and other distinguishing features. The one from Grizzly retails at $157, on sale for $130, and they offer a discount promotion of 5% for over $50 purchase, final cost around $123.00. Woodrivers price is $155.00 retail, no on sale/discount. I'd be willing to pay the extra $32 for the Woodriver if better quality/features, but they look like the same horse, just different paint.
In terms of functionality, they are the same. Does $32 buy you better quality? Can't say. The Woodriver was out of stock when I was looking so I bought the Grizzly (on sale then as well). It arrived, I put it together, and it does what I need.

Ordered a pattern makers from the Griz this AM. Called the customer service # as I saw both a 5% off promotion and also a free shipping somewhere from them.
The 5% off amounted to around $6.50 off and free ship would have been a $20 off. The Griz rep advised the free ship off right now is only for large machine type orders. Still a good deal with the 5% off vs ordering from Woodriver. Giz rep advised they have a good number of the vices in stock.

Here’s what I did with one of those vices,made it into a moveable back jaw.
‘This has the advantage of the job always being in the one plane. (posted this before but can’t seem to link).

Attachments

• 83E380CB-1769-48F5-9DCA-B62E5DEDEB23.jpeg
    83E380CB-1769-48F5-9DCA-B62E5DEDEB23.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 115
I just pulled the trigger on the Grizz. What carving tools do you guys use? I've been looking at different types but not sure what would be best for me. I'll mainly be finishing kits, some inletting, and later on hopefully some carving.

Back