• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Gun kit from TOTW

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every stock I have seen from TOW has enough room for carving, including that one. Only problem with TOW is you best be sure they have the parts when you order them, as the last kit sent to me from them was missing allot of parts & I waited 4 mo for the lock & barrel & still had to go find one elsewheres. That particular order was a total screwup from the getgo... No barrel, no lock, wrong RR pipes & triggerguard, no underlugs, wrong RR tips, just a total mess.... I have pretty much quit using them because of the backorders they kept giving me. I use Tip Curtis Frontier Shop, Dunlaps Woodcrafts, Jim Chambers Flintlocks, or MBS.

As far as buying a shaped stock or a blank, that is entirely up to you. Usually the precut ones are as much headaches as doing the whole thing, but some find comfort in the shape being already there.

Most relief carving doesn't stand out as much as it looks like it does. The stock will have enough wood for carving almost anything you want.
The problem you might face if you planned to put any cast into the butt of the stock is there often isn't enough wood to permit this.

This can be worked around in the case of Pecatonicas Lancaster stocks, for instance.
If a person wants a later style Lancaster with cast in the stock, they can buy the older "J. Dickart" which is cut for a wide butt plate and a little thicker wrist.
The thicker butt plate material can then be thinned down for the "laterperiod", thinner butt plate after it is positioned to give the degree of cast they want. They also might want to thin out some of the other areas of the stock like the wrist to be like the later period gun. :)

Back