• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Gun in Alamo

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flintlock12

32 Cal
Reaction score
This may not be the right forum to post this. I am sorry. My father had donated a Brown Bess 2 flintlock to the Alamo back in the 80s, i believe. He passed away almost 20 years ago. I have heard from a friend his display has been taken down. Either way I have hopelessly decided to try and bring this firearm back to our home to stay for the future generations. If anyone has any idea of how to even go about doing this, as hopeless as it seems, I’d appreciate any information.

Attachments

• 97F5C570-66C9-4B8B-9315-7CA35D28819F.jpeg
    97F5C570-66C9-4B8B-9315-7CA35D28819F.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 351
  • 7485E929-014B-4D93-BABE-A4E0546A0E96.jpeg
    7485E929-014B-4D93-BABE-A4E0546A0E96.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 353
That doesn't seem like a hopeless endeavor to me. More like a challenge and adventure. Maybe this is a good excuse for a road trip?

BTW - welcome to the forum! Seems there's a lot of new guys here in the last six months - me being one of them.

Thank you so much. I contacted him. Would be incredible to be able to obtain this. We lost so much of his stuff when he passed.

If it was a donation your task might be more difficult than it it was "on loan" to the museum. Hopefully you have paperwork to document it. That would likely spell out the terms and conditions of the transfer. If you don't, then you'll have to rely on their records. If neither of you have them, then try contacting the law firm that they used at the time (or their successors). Likely you will be able to engage with people that; "just want to do the right thing", but you will just as likely run in to those that don't. Be prepared for both.

It is unclear as to what is written on the plaque in the first picture. If there is any mention of your father in the write-up, it would ease the task. If not, then try to contact the person(s) named there. They may remember the initial loan. Be prepared to provide proof of your father's name for verification.

It has my dad, his name as the donor and the town we live in. It’s clear in the actual picture. So that is all the proof I would have on my end. Just trying to get ahold of the right person to find an answer to this situation is hard

If he donated it to the museum, then there is no recourse because the ownership or title was legally transferred at that time to the museum or foundation or trust or whatever, and they were (and are) entitled to dispose of it as they see fit. Maybe they would give it to you, but I doubt it. They aren't required to display it or anything like that. In fact they may have sold it to raise cash. This happens more than one might think, because museums always need money.

Very curious how this plays out either way. Like others have stated, with a loan, you have a decent chance. A donation leaves you out of luck unless you find a sympathetic representative with the ability to help. Buying it back in this case might be an option.

I will keep updated. As of now I have called and emailed a handful of people. Waiting to hear a response. I do have the ability to contact the CEO of the Alamo so that will be my next step.

I will keep updated. As of now I have called and emailed a handful of people. Waiting to hear a response. I do have the ability to contact the CEO of the Alamo so that will be my next step.
if I were you, I would not wait. Call and make an appointment to go visit with him(her?)
Be ready to offer a donation to the museum if you can.
You might also ask that if you are not able to get it back, to have some assurance that the display will be returned to public viewing.

This may not be the right forum to post this. I am sorry. My father had donated a Brown Bess 2 flintlock to the Alamo back in the 80s, i believe. He passed away almost 20 years ago. I have heard from a friend his display has been taken down. Either way I have hopelessly decided to try and bring this firearm back to our home to stay for the future generations. If anyone has any idea of how to even go about doing this, as hopeless as it seems, I’d appreciate any information.
Good luck! Probably an impossible task, but you never know. The current social and political climate wants to deny that firearms even existed!

If he donated it to the museum, then there is no recourse because the ownership or title was legally transferred at that time to the museum or foundation or trust or whatever, and they were (and are) entitled to dispose of it as they see fit. Maybe they would give it to you, but I doubt it. They aren't required to display it or anything like that. In fact they may have sold it to raise cash. This happens more than one might think, because museums always need money.
Not relative to this specific museum, but people would be surprised how many items being "deaccessioned" wind up going out the back service door into someone's car trunk...early "pickers" that hit small county museums back before the internet gleaned many rare items, esp. Civil War, in exchange for a new roof donation or some such. People need to be careful about donating or loaning items anymore.

So far it’s been a blame match. Alamo blames the daughters of the republic and they blame the Alamo. Both entities are currently looking through their files, or so they say.

Yeah, that isn't exactly a prescription for confidence. It is what it is, they may well have sold it. Seems to me I read somewhere Phil Collins, a drummer for a rock band, has a pretty stout collection of Alamo artifacts.

I have confirmed they have it and it is in their vault.

Hey! Well that's good news, or at least better than "We've no idea" and pointing fingers.

Supposedly my dad put a clause in there. Waiting to see the agreement.

That's a new development, too, isn't it? It would be really good if you could find your dad's copy. Did he have an attorney that he used, or a safe deposit box?

Back