Gun Case/sock

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Rifleman1776

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Wool breaths
Yes. Sorta.
But gotta disagree, my friend, that wool make a good gun sleeve for storage. A rifle sleeve made from a nice blanket might look cool while walking around a ronny area it is, in my experience, the worstest possible thing you can do to a rifle. Left overnight in one you will find yer rifle covered with the awfulest rust possible. :shocked2: :( . I know from experience. I still have my sleeves but they haven't been taken from storage in years. They will be blanket trade items some day.

tenngun

Cannon
Reaction score
??? wow I've not had that trouble. My first task on getting up and after talking to a dog about a man and his horse, is to get a fire going and water to boil. Then I pull the cover and run an oiled patch down the bore, followed by a dry patch. Next I wipe the barrel and lock down with an oiled patch.

Reaction score
Does anyone know where one could find a historically correct "gun case" of something like brain tanned leather for a 19th century percussion plains rifle? One with a carry strap?

Black Hand

Cannon
Reaction score
Smokey Plainsman said:
Does anyone know where one could find a historically correct "gun case" of something like brain tanned leather for a 19th century percussion plains rifle? One with a carry strap?
Guns were carried for immediate use - a cased gun could get you killed. Perhaps in very rare cases, they might have had a cover, and then for use in shipping/transport. Braintan implies Native, which suggests ceremonial rather than every-day use.

Are you sure you want a case....?

Black Hand

Cannon
Reaction score
Addendum:
The only time my gun sees a case is when it is being transported in a car. When out in the woods, it is at the ready at all times, including when I sleep - the gun is loaded, primed and usually in the blanket with me in wet weather/winter or sometimes leaned against a tree/next to me in other cases. Grizzly bears in Montana are no laughing matter and like bacon as much as I do...

Black Hand

Cannon
Reaction score
As mentioned, the only Braintan gun cases I've seen were Native with beads and/or quillwork for decoration. Certainly not any with a shoulder-strap.

BillinOregon

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Black Hand, I am not sure I concur. An uncased gun -- especially a flintlock -- in a snow or rainstorm could get you killed. And an awful lot of Native Americans, whom I consider pretty savvy at survival, carried their bows and arrows cased behind their backs.

Rifleman1776

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Obi-Wan Cannoli said:
Do you think that the scarcity of evidence indicates that gun cases were seldom ever used or that they were a common afterthought that didn't require mentioning in the primary sources? It seems like something that cost 8 months of your income wouldn't hardly be out of your sight long enough to require a case?
Don't ye know nuttin yet? If is isn't shown in a Russel painting it didn't exist. :rotf:

Black Hand

Cannon
Reaction score
BillinOregon said:
Black Hand, I am not sure I concur. An uncased gun -- especially a flintlock -- in a snow or rainstorm could get you killed. And an awful lot of Native Americans, whom I consider pretty savvy at survival, carried their bows and arrows cased behind their backs.
You are certainly welcome to disagree, but I see a cased gun as a liability. I have had no issues carrying a flintlock in snow or rain, and I presume those whose everyday lives depended upon such a vital tool were even more skilled at dealing with the weather.

The Natives carried their cased bows/arrows, but this isn't really the same thing as a gun. Prior to contact, they were on even footing and not likely to be unarmed even with cased bow/arrows which were more likely hunting tools rather than tools of war. After the availability of guns, that second or two needed to remove the case would/could have resulted in the loss of food or even death. It is the equivalent of carrying your loaded pistol in a zippered case (and maybe in the trunk).

SgtErv

50 Cal.
Reaction score
A cow's knee is PC and will help protect your lock from rain and snow.

They're really simple to make

Black Hand

Cannon
Reaction score
SgtErv said:
A cow's knee is PC and will help protect your lock from rain and snow.

They're really simple to make
I've carried one for years, but it is hardly ever used (even in rain or snow). And yes, very easy to make...

Belleville

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Attachment is long, but does contain a ref to a common French colonial soldier using a gun cover. Soldier's pay was low so the gun cover may have been issued equipment, but a pistol is mentioned which would not have been issued equipment? Fort Sandoske was on lake Erie in what is now Ohio c.1750. We don't know how the trial turned out?

Attachments

Belleville

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Marie Madeleine Morisseau’s August 1688 Trade Goods Purchased for her son’s voyage to the Illinois
included 8 gun sheaths, at 30 s. apiece
source Kent, Tim Phantoms of the French Fur Trade.