• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun Cabinet - comments?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Solanco, why hammer down carried one for a bit cocked and locked, or hammer back and safety on is the correct way to do a 1911. Love the 45 with 230gr hardball. better leave it at that or Zonie will get me.

Flintlocks are not classified as firearms in Canada, they are considered antiques even if new. No license required to own. Percussion rifles are classified as firearms though and require a valid license to own as well as subject to rules of storage, transport, etc.
I keep mine in a locked cabinet to prevent theft as well as comply with storage rules.
Firearms are a whole other ballgame up here.

Last edited by a moderator:
PS-For max padlock security, build it so you can use an Abus Diskus padlock. It doesn't get any better than that.
Actually, it does.
a guy at the airport had a Diskus lock and lost the key.. we watched a locksmith bump it open on the second tap without even damaging it. He joined the Master Round Lock fold like all of the rest of us. The locksmith had them on the doors of his truck.. I use one on my hanger. Honestly, you'd get in faster using a cutting tourch to just make a new door in the hanger wall.

Photo of that shop shows enviable organization , very nice. I use the camo approach. Have lots of places in my cluttered shop to allow ambush of intruders. After the 30 round clip is empty, can go 18th century , tomahakin , war club , death hammer will be employed to finish the mess. My pleasure to be privileged to end some fool's life of crime. G. Gorden Liddy said "no witnesses " is best. Sadly ,the way our country is going ,we had better learn to defend our own , there won't be any backup. Hone your skills , knowledge is power , and "Black Powder Matters"..............oldwood
Wounded survivors may file suit. And you could loose.
If they manage to get outside, drag them back in before calling the law.
Two pieces of advice given me by an old sheriff.

Number 1 . Only talk to an attorney. Number 2, “you were in fear for your life”. In my opinion, any self defense advice from the police is worthless.....

In NY, guns only have to be secured if there are kids or anyone not legally allowed (criminal record, mental health) to possess a firearm.

A safe may slow thieves down, but there are other ways, possibly more effective. An alarm system will help deter thieves from even entering the house. Remember, they can only steal what they have time to steal, and a house w/o an alarm offers plenty of time, regardless of how they are secured inside.
In the country here. Security alarm with a 24/7 monitoring service owned by a retired State Trooper. For very little more cost added smoke and flame detectors. Rather the Fire Company volunteers not have to wait til someone sees flames from a mile away.

here in PA we have a castle doctrine law. When I first moved here a home owner came home to find his front door ajar. He snuck in and got his deer rifle. He saw the door to the basement open, when h looked in he saw someone putting his possesions out the basement window. The home owner shot and killed the burglar, who was 19 years old. There were no charges filed against the home owner, this was 1986. Either Jan. or Feb. of this year a 66 year old home owner shot a man and a woman in his home rummaging through his possesions. He killed the male and wounded the female. The home owner was locked up without bail, the law claimed that the people were leaving and posed no threat. This took place in Monroe County PA. God forbid I have to defend my home, I will not call the law because I cannot afford the 3 to 4 hundred dollars that an attorney charges. Even when I was young enough to be in the workforce I could not afford those prices.

If you did something along these lines but put an iron bar at the butts, muzzles, and a few along the middle that are carriage bolted to the studs you may be able to retard theft a bit. Mine go in the safe but I’ve been mulling a solution so I can leave them on the rack.....

View attachment 53173
What are those two big rectangular things hanging from the ceiling?

Years ago I displayed my rifles on a traditional wall-hanging rack. The appearance of children and California laws migrated them to a safe. I miss seeing them on display and, well, now there's too many to fit. I'm months away from retirement and have been building a new shop with an office/mancave and would really like to have them visible again, but still safe - not only from accidental mishandling but also from theft. I've spent my life as a mechancial engineer, machine designer, fabricator and machinsist so I've been dreaming of a solution.. think I might have it. Imagine this: a built-in cabinet framed with welded 1 X 2 heavy wall steel extrusion and sheathed in plate steel, with doors made of the same extrusion and windows of 1/2" polycarbonate. Wood veneers covering it so it wont look like a prison cell and an appropriate padlock. interior LED lighting,felt/velvet, ammo drawers, etc.. I can do this, wont be crazy expensive and will make my neighbors drool during card games :)
Ok, critique away, I can take it.
I think you would be better off building that gun cabinet in another state.

Wounded survivors may file suit. And you could loose.
If they manage to get outside, drag them back in before calling the law.
Two pieces of advice given me by an old sheriff.
Don’t take that part about dragging them back in seriously.
An Evidence Tampering conviction is bad news, and will likely cause the whole self-defense claim to be tossed.

Back