• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun Builders Bench

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a small work space that I've managed to put together. I built a workbench out of a discarded bunkbed. It turned out MUCH better than I hoped it would. I was accidentally impressed with myself.
Almanac Shop.jpg
Almanac Shop 2.jpg

This is the bench I built last year when we moved into the new house. I left my old bench at the old house, no way I was going to try and move that beast.
As I noted in my earlier post the legs are 4x4 with 2x6 runners around the outside of the legs. They are glued and screwed with heavy duty SPAX framing screws.
The main top is a solid core exterior door I picked up from Home Depot for $10.00 or so, one side had a damaged veneer so that’s why so cheap. It was 36”x72” and I trimmed it to 32” and used the 4” drop as a back fence to keep things from rolling off of the back.
Topping that is 3/4” particle board with a melamine surface (think cheap countertop). Again it was a damaged 4’x8’ sheet that was $15.00, one edge had about a 6” chunk broken out so it worked out fine once cut down. I would have preferred plain particle board and polyurethaned it but with lumber prices last fall the damaged melamine piece won out. It will work fine for rifle building and ‘Smithing work.
I figure it tips the scales in the 200# range and it is a dead, no bounce top which to me is critical.
I will put 24” square carpet tiles down when I don’t want to chance scratches.
It is 42” high which is about elbow height for me, I have found that to be a good height so I am not hunched over. It also meant I only needed 3 4x4’s for the 6 legs.
I would guess even with the whack lumber prices last fall I’m not into for more than $125.00.
I have the pattern makers vise on it, I’ve not yet mounted the machinists vise to it.
Don’t yell about the carpet on the floor, it came with the house.
90BCDCAF-145B-490D-BAF8-A82EE309B05E.jpeg
7F100B7A-253D-4AFB-A799-1477B228A3E9.jpeg

I usually work in the garage on a store bought metal bench, I think it came from Sears? But I have an older version of this: 60 in., 4 Drawer Hardwood Workbench That has no drawers only a shelf underneath. It does have two vises though, one on the end and another on the left front. It is actually pretty handy. I don’t know where I got it decades ago.

Harbor Fright sell ones like that if you are looking

Back