• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Gun Builder Mike Davis

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RHenderson

32 Cal
Reaction score
In December 2020, I contracted with gun builder Mike Davis to build a rifle for me. We agreed on a price and I sent him
a check for half the total. I was told the build would take about 5 months. After 5 months I contacted Mr. Davis and was
told he was behind and would be starting on my rifle in about a month. Ok no problem. Another 3 months went by with
no word. I called again and was told he'd have my rifle done in a couple weeks. Another 4 months went by with no word.
I called again and was told it would be another 3 weeks. I had one more communication with him in January 2022, but since
then no word. All texts, FB messages, and e-mails have been ignored. It appears my only recourse now is to take legal action to
try to get my money back. If you are thinking about contracting with Mr. Davis to build a rifle, I would think twice before
sending him a check. Better yet seek out a reputable builder who will communicate with you and keep you apprised of the
progress of your build.

Not good! Please keep us up to date. Does he have a web site? Even a reputable builder can get behind or suffer issues and it can take the patience of Job at times. Even in the days of snail mail and land lines poor communication was inexcusable.

I had a similar experience with him a couple of years ago. In my case I gave him $2000 up front through PayPal, backed by a credit card, and was told it would only be a 45-day build. What's the old saying "if it sounds too good to be true...." Anyways after a year of trading texts with him I contacted my credit card carrier and got my money back.

Not good! Please keep us up to date. Does he have a web site? Even a reputable builder can get behind or suffer issues and it can take the patience of Job at times. Even in the days of snail mail and land lines poor communication was inexcusable.
I still have not had any communication from him. He does have a website, Davis Longrifles. I get that builders get behind, parts aren't available, health issues, family issues, etc. I think I've been pretty patient with him. I thought when I ordered the rifle that a completion date of 5 months was pretty optimistic, so it was not a big deal that the date came and went. But now we are at almost 20 months with no communication for the last 7 months.

I had a similar experience with him a couple of years ago. In my case I gave him $2000 up front through PayPal, backed by a credit card, and was told it would only be a 45-day build. What's the old saying "if it sounds too good to be true...." Anyways after a year of trading texts with him I contacted my credit card carrier and got my money back.
Your experience sounds like a pattern I'm hearing from other people as well. I was told that one gentleman sent him $1200 and a set of parts to build a rifle and never received it. This was in 2016. I've been told by people who claim to be friends of his had to pester him almost non-stop to get him to complete a build for them. That's not really my style. I sent him a personal check for $1350, so I may have to take some sort of legal action to get my money back. I guess ordering a custom rifle from someone who is a total stranger to you and having to pay thousands of $$ upfront is a gamble. Seems like another old saying applies here. "Let the buyer beware."

I'll look for a rifle already made that suits my desires. The lengthy waits aren't for everyone. Plus, let's say a builder passes away, I'd feel odd calling up his wife and asking for my money back! Hey, it could happen! The quality and beauty of many of the current working masters is amazing, though!

Another reason why I won't contract getting a gun built.
It's just easier to find one already built that you like.
There are plenty of nice used guns out there to pick from.
Pick up a gun of interest, if you like yet, you trade $$ for it.
I'm not willing to wait a year or two for a gun.
Geez...I may not even be here in a year or two.

Yeah, I'll not be contracting a gun build ever again. It took about two years, after my deal fell through with Mike Davis, that I found a custom-made rifle from a club member for only $700. It has a Rice barrel, Siler lock, Davis triggers, steel fittings and a maple stock. Can't hardly buy the parts for that kind of money!

Yeah, I'll not be contracting a gun build ever again. It took about two years, after my deal fell through with Mike Davis, that I found a custom-made rifle from a club member for only $700. It has a Rice barrel, Siler lock, Davis triggers, steel fittings and a maple stock. Can't hardly buy the parts for that kind of money!
Yep...I bought one similar for $650.00 built last year.
Green Mountain 42" barrel, Siler lock, curly maple stock & Davis triggers.
I personally know this gun had less that 12 shots put thru it until I got it 2 months ago.

Good find! I like that!

Nope. I buy in person with cash or do without. Thats just me.
Sounds like good advice. That's where I am now. Buy it or build it myself. Since I'm a lefty, not too many custom lefty rifles
for sale out there.

Sounds like you got a great deal! Those parts alone are gonna cost you over $700.

FWIW I tried a little experiment to see if this guy was legit or not. I sent him an email stating I had a $5,000 budget and wanted a custom colonial ML built. He responded to me the same day saying he didn’t really build colonials styles but would be happy to build me one in his style. So in my opinion he is a very shady operator.

Sounds like you got a great deal! Those parts alone are gonna cost you over $700.
I always look at auctions in my area, there's a couple close enough for me to see in person any offerings. One has a nice custom long rifle coming up in June, but it will not doubt exceed my budget for such, not that I desperately need another!

I'll look for a rifle already made that suits my desires. The lengthy waits aren't for everyone. Plus, let's say a builder passes away, I'd feel odd calling up his wife and asking for my money back! Hey, it could happen! The quality and beauty of many of the current working masters is amazing, though!
You have a point, but after a respectful period of time, business is business, and the family should realize that. I'm with you, though!

Back