• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Guessing its a replica but not sure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee1980

32 Cal
Reaction score
So we've been going through my grandparents bits recently and we have this old pistol that I used to play with as a kid but never thought anything of. Was looking at it today and it has engravings along the muzzle in Spanish which from searching imply it was a gun of the kings guards. I know nothing other than that really and was wondering if anyone would know any more about it or if there was a way of verifying if its real or a replica?

Thanks Lee
uA0PQClpQuqe4JAv6tN3hA.jpg

Attachments

• xmn8GL5eShaVZWG1DpUBdg.jpg
    xmn8GL5eShaVZWG1DpUBdg.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 157
  • dXwWsmQpSCW5Uqi+SAIXow.jpg
    dXwWsmQpSCW5Uqi+SAIXow.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 211
  • XWHGAygHSUSNZhJMJ5Xe4A.jpg
    XWHGAygHSUSNZhJMJ5Xe4A.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 156
  • fD9uAIQ1SD2okFNbWKhxug.jpg
    fD9uAIQ1SD2okFNbWKhxug.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 173
  • 3QBGP%X+SeqNg0+cHe1BOw.jpg
    3QBGP%X+SeqNg0+cHe1BOw.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 164
  • uA0PQClpQuqe4JAv6tN3hA.jpg
    uA0PQClpQuqe4JAv6tN3hA.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 154
The ram rod retainer seems to be that of Calvary. Think l have seen this on some British calvary rifles.
Not sure about the lock. Inlay is good but I'm curious about how it is attached. The screw through the frizzin. If that goes into the wood it probably an indication of a show piece.
Someone here will know better.

The ram rod retainer seems to be that of Calvary. Think l have seen this on some British calvary rifles.
Not sure about the lock. Inlay is good but I'm curious about how it is attached. The screw through the frizzin. If that goes into the wood it probably an indication of a show piece.
Someone here will know better.

what's a frizzin?

OMG! I think you have the real thing. I don't know. This brings back memories when I was a child and used to play with an old double barrel percussion 'Corsair' type pistol when visiting my parents friends, the Crowders. They did a lot of work and travel in central and south America back in the 30's- 60's and Aunt Fay was Peruvian Indian. Wow, could that pistol have been original? Was the darned thing still loaded? It was for sure real with about .45 cal. barrels. Wish I had some pictures of it.. That was back in the early 60's. I had not yet started school. If your pistol is original, you have a real treasure. If a replica, you had a really cool Grandad! By the way, I think I see the name 'Phillip' on the barrel, According to my genealogy, I am descended from Phillip I of Spain. Could it be?

I agree with Treestalker. Check it out real good. Anything os possible.

So how do I find out? does anyone know someone in UK who could have a look and tell me?
Also sorry for being naive but what's meant by antique? does that mean real or antique replica? sorry for the questions

Could be original. If it is reproduction there will be proof marks giving some ability to date. As AA, AB and such. I could not match up the the markings with any modern day reproductions. May need to remove barrel and look on bottom.

Is the touch hole functional, as in drilled through to the chamber?

It may be a Spanish period pistol ,or made for the Spanish market in a different country..... since there were countless gun makers throughout Spain and Belgium making weapons varying wildly in quality. I've had some sketchy revolvers over the years made by long defunct Spanish gunmakers , also Belgium.

I would not make any attempt to fire that thing , it's a neat family collectible and maybe would look good on a mantle.

Is the touch hole functional, as in drilled through to the chamber?

It may be a Spanish period pistol ,or made for the Spanish market in a different country..... since there were countless gun makers throughout Spain and Belgium making weapons varying wildly in quality. I've had some sketchy revolvers over the years made by long defunct Spanish gunmakers , also Belgium.

I would not make any attempt to fire that thing , it's a neat family collectible and maybe would look good on a mantle.

HAHA I was never thinking of firing it!! Was more intrigued about its history and whether it was the real deal or not because of the inscription on the barrel. Was hoping to recognise the stamps along the barrel but googling just hasn't helped! I know its probably almost impossible to tell how real it is from photos but wondered if there was a easy way to spot a fake if that makes sense?

Need to contact someone at a firearms museum I think good start.
The odd things are the round back at bottom of grip. The antique is square. And the uneven number stamping.

Check that against when reproductions started being made. May be that can give some insight.

Check that against when reproductions started being made. May be that can give some insight.
Again sorry for what might be a stupid question but google doesn't have an answer is there anyway of checking that?

Back