Quantcast

guaranteed incindiary topic!

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Bob McBride

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
My favorite's are the ones put on by the 'Simeon England' types but I do enjoy going to the ones ran and by faux dirty ‘thread counters’ who walk around mumbling to each other, “Ain't documented, didn't happen”.... It's personally not my cup of tea, but as an observer, I appreciate it when I know that some grey matter went into making sure it's all right. As to women, if they ain't there it ain't right, even if they're doing the laundry or poking at the fire.

Last edited:

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey Toot, years ago at a civil war event a member of my unit summed it up very nicely bye stating that we were all old hippies playing with guns. This was in camp as the jug was being passed around I about fell off my stool laughing. Those were good times.
NO, those were shinning times!!! remember that phrase? used by the real MTN. MEN!!

Tallswife

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Some things we can’t get at all. Wool and pork from the nineteenth century are all gone, those sheep and pigs don’t exist any more. There been bred out of existance.
Not entirely correct.

Hog Island sheep, native to America, and quite possibly raised by G. Washington at Mt Vernon, are still in existance. They are considered to be critical in numbers, but they are still around. Merino sheep trace their existance back to 13th Centrury. While they were not in the USA until 1802. The Churra breed were brought over by Columbus on his second voyage in 1493, They are prominant in the south west states. Sheep were brought over to the Jamestown settlement, they believe that they were the English Longwool breeds, also still in existance today. The Virgiana colony were said to contain many Dorset sheep, also still around today. Whiltshire sheep were introducted to the Massachussets colony in 1624 and while primarly a meat breed, were also used for their wool, and are still around now. Romney sheep were also introduced to Mass colony shortly after it was formed, and Romney are still widely used today for wool. Rhode Island colony were partial to the Southdown breeds, and they, too, are still widely in use.

While some of the original charasticts may have changed over hundreds of years of breeding, the sheep are still here!

Marinekayak

36 Cl.
Reaction score
So most of the reenactors I've seen are fat old guys who wouldnt last a day under real field conditions....so who cares if its a man or a woman as long as they're having fun. Half the people "playing" soldier probably arent veterans either. Its all make believe anyway. If you want to take your toys and go play in the woods have fun and relax.

Rifleman1776

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The ONLY way a women should protray a soldier is if she can do it so well that when she is in character KNOWONE can tell that she is not a man!!!
We have a local CW reenactment group that used to have a female member. She dressed in typical Confederate gray uniform like the men. But, her walking away view left no doubt this was a female. I never did CW, too modern for me, but I did enjoy that view.

Crow-Feather

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
This is a White man's problem. We poor dumb Sauvages welcome our women who want to fight.My daughter in law does very well with my English fowler which weighs 7 1/2 lbs.and we have a Cherokee sister who has fought with us at Ft. Toulousse.

Perhaps some of you have forgotten Jeanne d'Arc or Molly Pitcher? There were approximately 400 women who served in the Civil War including one Confederate officer whose sex was not discovered until she gave birth in a Federal prison.

Tom Patton :m2c:
based on your comment, I figure that someone discovered she was a woman about 9 months earlier.

Carbon 6

Cannon
Reaction score
Women fighting in the Civil war and the Revolution is historically correct.

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Not entirely correct.

Hog Island sheep, native to America, and quite possibly raised by G. Washington at Mt Vernon, are still in existance. They are considered to be critical in numbers, but they are still around. Merino sheep trace their existance back to 13th Centrury. While they were not in the USA until 1802. The Churra breed were brought over by Columbus on his second voyage in 1493, They are prominant in the south west states. Sheep were brought over to the Jamestown settlement, they believe that they were the English Longwool breeds, also still in existance today. The Virgiana colony were said to contain many Dorset sheep, also still around today. Whiltshire sheep were introducted to the Massachussets colony in 1624 and while primarly a meat breed, were also used for their wool, and are still around now. Romney sheep were also introduced to Mass colony shortly after it was formed, and Romney are still widely used today for wool. Rhode Island colony were partial to the Southdown breeds, and they, too, are still widely in use.

While some of the original charasticts may have changed over hundreds of years of breeding, the sheep are still here!
Hogs aren’t native to America.
Many of the breeds of animals are directly descendent of the old breeds. Cattle, dogs sheep horses ect were brought in, along with farm products.
When I said you couldn’t get the breeds, the wool or the pork ect I was referencing how much things have changed.
My Dad grew up on a dairy farm During the depression. They still hand milked... ouch. Their cows were the same Jersey and guernsey that are milked today. However they only produced about 1/3 of the milk as their grand children produced today.
Back in the forties people had cat shows and winning breads were the same as today’s. However they were changed to reflect required looks. Persians had a pronounced cat nose instead of the smacked with a frying pan look they have today.
Even if you plant heirloom veggies your getting veggies at the end of a breeding curve.
It’s not just today. Henry the eighth didnt eat what Henry the first ate, nor what George the first ate.
Its a mild change but people have always been breeding for something they preferred. Tobacco, hot peppers, tea ect have all been greatly manipulated.
We call them the same names but they have changed over the years.
Then think about taste. Should you buy black pepper how does the pepper stored in real good conditions and pretty fresh compare to pepper kept in a plain store house then packed in to dubious barrels shipped in a wooden bottom for two years or more then transported to a store and held till sold.
Then today you have it in a cabinet where temp and humidity are pretty constant compared to an old home that was hot in the summer and cool in the winter.

Bob McBride

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Women fighting in the Civil war and the Revolution is historically correct.
Here in the Tennessee hills it's not uncommon to talk to a woman with a Copenhagen ring in her back pocket and a Lady Smith on her hip, who steps away to spit tobacco juice with admirable technique, during the deep conversation you have with her on why your Catfish noodling style is lacking. I'm not surprised at all. Love me some country girls.....

ugly old guy

40 Cal
Reaction score
Romney are still widely used today for wool.
Mitt is used for wool?!?
Well ... it's good to know NY found a use for that bast... I mean piece of sh.... I mean .... far left Anti-Constitution...
Oops. I almost let something slip out that would be frowned on outside the Political section on the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a cousin that chews, and she's a real looker too, use to be a model in her youth. She can outwork most men and is half as squeamish.
some chew WORN DIRT and SOME LOOSE LEAF. if you chew you will have to find a woman who chews also before you can kiss them!!

Reaction score
It is always nice to have a woman that chews the same brand as you do, that way if you run short you can bum a chew. I am like BOB gotta luv a country gal.

Carbon 6

Cannon
Reaction score
Grass is greener on the other side of the fence.
Many, many, country gals want nothing more than to leave the country and enjoy city life. Conversely, many city gals love the country life and want nothing more than to enjoy the outdoors.

I think it has more to do with the person than anything else.

JoJoLesh

40 Cal
Reaction score
Do y'all have enough interest in your groups that you can afford to be turning people away?
Let's say my partner and I show up. She's not really the skirt and petticoat type. If you try and peg hole her into either being a camp follower or a musician, you aren't loosing 1 person, your loosing 2.

In the name of accurately portraying the events you should also cut your rolls so that the average age of the line is ~25. There is no explaining away a regiment of retirees out there (even at 40 I'd be a old man).

There also weren't a lot of overweight guys either, so how do you explain away being heavy around the middle when you'd have been on meager rations for a campaign?

Seems like a woman, dressed as a man, has a better shot at actually looking the part.

griffiga

Supporting Member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
This is a White man's problem. We poor dumb Sauvages welcome our women who want to fight.My daughter in law does very well with my English fowler which weighs 7 1/2 lbs.and we have a Cherokee sister who has fought with us at Ft. Toulousse.

Perhaps some of you have forgotten Jeanne d'Arc or Molly Pitcher? There were approximately 400 women who served in the Civil War including one Confederate officer whose sex was not discovered until she gave birth in a Federal prison.

Tom Patton :m2c:
I agree with my red brother, there were many instances where women joined the forces disguised as men and fought along side their male counterparts with just as much or perhaps even more courage. We had several women in our group of reenactors who wish to participate. Sometimes its as camp cooks or laundresses and other times they pick up a musket, dawn a uniform and march and shoot right along with us. As long as it coincides with history, I have no problem.

Latest posts