• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Grrw trapper pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot pistol today took 10 shots offhand at 25yds I adjusted the load three times I'm sure I can do better with this gun if I shoot it in the future. it will probably only be at a rendezvous setting I have my go to guns for the matches. This pistol is very nice quality build griz knew how to build a gun !

Attachments

• 20190908_121521.jpg
    20190908_121521.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 73
Nit Wit,

I'm curious as to why you ask this question?

As far as I know, the answer is "no", but I've never researched the JB Mountain Rifle or owned one. Don't know much about them.
I had heard a rumor and I saw where Doc said they were bought elsewhere! I got my answer.
Thanks
Nit Wit

I talked to Carl Walker by phone last night. He said the record book did not include the date when P-69 was finished. He had guessed that it was 1979 from information he had on other guns. I sent him the material I presented above on my P-68 and P-97 pistols for him to consider. I'm waiting for him to look at that material and respond back to my emails.

It is possible that the box and the label on the box that the seller has with P-69 has been erroneously influencing the assumed date of manufacture.
pix432213730.jpg

That label, and the box itself, may not be from Green River Rifle Works. I don't know how the company packaged and shipped their pistols, but the original boxes I have seen that rifles had been shipped in were plain, inexpensive cardboard boxes. Address and other information was written on these rifle shipping boxes with a Magic Marker (a Sharpie for the younger generations). It is possible that the label on the box is something that a gun shop created some years after the pistol was manufactured.
I spoke to doc about this pistol here's what he said those are the correct boxes they shipped guns in, the date and serial # are seemingly correct time frame and he has some doubts that 100 pistols were made.

I liked your target results from shooting your trapper pistol. My Traditions Trapper 50CAL is the only ML firearm I have to date. I'm hoping to improve my 25-yard shooting to come closer to your good results. It's cool to have a target to compare mine to. :cool:

Being quite new to to ML pistols, I continue to learn new things. Just read on MLF this week about a fixed tang pistol barrel. In your Sept 5th photos I see that is what is on your trapper. My trapper has a hooked breech barrel. I'd like to ask how you clean your pistol? Do you have to dis-assemble the pistol for each cleaning? It appears it would be harder to clean as attached. Thanks.

Shot pistol today took 10 shots offhand at 25yds I adjusted the load three times I'm sure I can do better with this gun if I shoot it in the future. it will probably only be at a rendezvous setting I have my go to guns for the matches. This pistol is very nice quality build griz knew how to build a gun !

And your Sept 5th post:
lou puleff said:
Well have pistol in hand very kool to see it for first time feels like a real well built piece lock was nasty and needed some rework on the tumbler but is working great ! Have match on Sunday so I guess I'll take the blue jacket rifle and the trapper pistol talk about shooting some history !

Here's five shots with my grrw-ca pistol .58 cal 25 yards 1st shot cold and low otherwise good group I believe the pistol shoots better every time out groups getting better might just be getting familiar with it or plain old luck ! Lol
As far as cleaning goes clean with my own concoction mix about 10 patches worth then put something under hammer like couple old patches so no liquid comes out the dump some down the barrel then let soak 10 minutes then run a wet patch down slow and push down and fluid gets pushed up and down in barrel do that about 10 times then I tip gun sideways and pull hammer back and start flushing fluid out thru nipple to flush all that out till it runs clean then take lock out clean and oil, check screws to tighten if needed take out nipple use pipe cleaner and wet with cleaner and push thru flash hole until clean, clean nipple and area on gun around drum and run dry patches thru and if clean run oil patches thru bore put it back together wipe gun down with some special oil I have and let gun sit out in house for a day then reoil barrel and put away for next shoot seems like a lot but it's really pretty easy of course you can use your own methods but what matters is the gun gets cleaned "every" time no exceptions ! Sorry for the long winded reply !!

I'd say "getting familiar with it." Always happens the more you shoot. Your group is much better than mine at my last range time, although it was about my best target so far. More practice coming.

Understand the difference on your cleaning method for a fixed tang barrel versus what I do with my hooked breech barrel. Thanks for writing it out. There is some similarity, but I couldn't quite get it because I soak my barrel in hot water/dish soap, submerging it in a bucket. I was stuck on that "method" knowing I would not soak wood in water that way. Makes sense how you clean yours without dis-assembling that type of barrel. :thumb:

There is one small "tool" you use and I need to try it. When I remove the nipple for cleaning, got to try using wet pipe cleaners to run through the flash hole. You know, I haven't even held a pipe cleaner in years! Definitely not a spendy cleaning tool either.;)

Thanks a bunch.
wiksmo aka Bob

Here's five shots with my grrw-ca pistol .58 cal 25 yards 1st shot cold and low otherwise good group I believe the pistol shoots better every time out groups getting better might just be getting familiar with it or plain old luck ! Lol
As far as cleaning goes clean with my own concoction mix about 10 patches worth then put something under hammer like couple old patches so no liquid comes out the dump some down the barrel then let soak 10 minutes then run a wet patch down slow and push down and fluid gets pushed up and down in barrel do that about 10 times then I tip gun sideways and pull hammer back and start flushing fluid out thru nipple to flush all that out till it runs clean then take lock out clean and oil, check screws to tighten if needed take out nipple use pipe cleaner and wet with cleaner and push thru flash hole until clean, clean nipple and area on gun around drum and run dry patches thru and if clean run oil patches thru bore put it back together wipe gun down with some special oil I have and let gun sit out in house for a day then reoil barrel and put away for next shoot seems like a lot but it's really pretty easy of course you can use your own methods but what matters is the gun gets cleaned "every" time no exceptions ! Sorry for the long winded reply !!

Latest posts

Back