• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GRRW Leman Trade Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MacRob46 said:
Thanks very much for posting this information. I bought mine in February 1974 for $200 and it is exactly like the first gun pictured in your post...You also clarified the barrel manufacturer for me. I had always heard they made their own barrels using machinery they got from Bill Large but I now know that mine, at serial no. 504, has a Douglas barrel, which ain't bad either. Thanks again.

Sorry, the serial number is 453, not 504. Also, there is a different front sight on mine but these are minor details.

Your very welcome, MacRob46.

GRRW did buy some of their barrel making equipment from Bill Large. GRRW employee Tanyu Howard was trained by Bill Large to operate the equipment. GRRW started producing their own barrels and using them on their rifles by the middle of 1974.

They ran the first ad for their new barrels in the April-May, 1974 issue of Muzzle Blasts.
74_04-05MB1stGRRWbarrelad_zpsb08b8aa5.jpg

On the slight differences in the front sights, GRRW hand made some of the front and rear sights they used on their rifles so small variances are to be expected.

Phil

david jackson said:
mtn.meek, would you have any pictures of one of those leman indian rifles? thanks!
Hello, Dave. Enjoyed visiting you in OKC after Thanksgiving. Did you get the email with the pictures I took of your rifle while there?

I had several photos I was trying to post of some different Leman Indian Rifles, but some kind of incompatibilities have recently developed between this forum and PhotoBucket. A single photo in a post can take a minute to refresh the "Preview" and complete the process of adding a new post. I tried making a post last night with maybe 10 photos and it was taking 5 to 10 minutes to refresh the "Preview". When I was ready to "Add Post", it cranked for a long time, then returned an "Error on the Server" message, and all my work was lost.

As a result, I will only include a couple photos in this post. It is of a Leman Indian Rifle I came across in a local gun store a couple days before Christmas. So this was my Christmas present to myself.

FullLengthLockSide1_zps7bd77d7d.jpg

LeftSideButtPlate1_zps8520a638.jpg

As you see in the photos, my new rifle is very similar to yours, but doesn't have the exceptional wood that yours does. This one probably was an additional cost, fancy wood upgrade, but not the extra fancy wood upgrade. It also has the additional cost, double set triggers upgrade. It is marked with Bill McKay's makers mark and is a .50 caliber. All the other features are same as the standard in the GRRW Leman ad I posted earlier.

Phil Meek

Nice!

And i really like the pics of the orig. and Brooks copy,single trigger and all ,a real hunting rifle.

Phil,

Can you put a couple dimensions on that rifle in a post.

I'm slowly sneaking up on a Leman personalized to my personal needs.
What is the barrel length?
Length of Pull?
Barrel across the flats?

TMan51 said:
Phil,

Can you put a couple dimensions on that rifle in a post.

I'm slowly sneaking up on a Leman personalized to my personal needs.
What is the barrel length?
Length of Pull?
Barrel across the flats?
Which one--the GRRW or Brooks Leman?

The GRRW dimensions are given in this ad.
  • Barrel diameter 1-1/16"
  • Barrel length 30"
  • Length of Pull 14", but other lengths could be requested

79_03-04MLGRRWLemankitsad002_zps077d49ee.jpg

The Brooks Leman:
  • Barrel diamemter 1"
  • Barrel length 32-1/4"
  • Length of pull 13"

I noticed this Custom Leman on Track today for $1,499.
Trigger reach is 13-3/4", weight is 8 pounds.
H & H Rifle Barrel, cut rifled in .45 caliber, 1"octagon, 30" length.

aam-893_1.jpg

Appears to be a pretty close copy of the GRRW Leman Indian Rifle. It was probably built in the early 1980's.

There were at least three companies that produced copies of the GRRW Leman rifles in the 1980's--one in Salt Lake City area, one in Wyoming, and one in Boise, Idaho. In addition, some of the GRRW riflesmiths made a few Leman rifles using GRRW parts after GRRW closed. Track's description of this rifle doesn't mention any markings on the barrel, so its maker appears to be unknown.

hey meek, yes I got the photos and thank you,thats a good looking rifle that you got! congrats! keep posting all this good GRRW info!

Here is GRRW's catalog from 1978 when I built my Leman in their shop in a class in Antique Custom Riflesmithing taught by Greg Roberts, Production Manager. You can hit Control and the + sign to enlarge the picture. The Trade rifle has a 30" barrel.

Good to see you join us, Herb.

Herb did most of the research and documented the prototype Leman Indian Rifle I will talk about in a few minutes.

Seems the problems between the forum and Photobucket have been fixed or resolved itself. In any event, the photos are loading much quicker now, and I can finish the story on GRRW’s Leman rifles.

Nineteen seventy-four was a pivotal year for GRRW. Their rifles were selling well, and they were increasing staff to try to meet demand and adding new models to their line of rifles. Among the new hands was Phil “Bluejacket” Sanders. Bluejacket was well known in the muzzleloader fraternity at that time and very knowledgeable in period firearms.

One of his early projects at GRRW was improving the looks of the Leman Trade Rifles. Doc White had some antique Leman rifles in his collection, and Bluejacket made copies of the butt plate and trigger guard from them. Bluejacket stamped “GRRW” and his touch mark on the inside of the butt plate master and his touch mark on the front tab of the trigger guard master. They then had casts made, and the stamps carried through on the cast butt plates and trigger guards.

IMG_4039copy_zps61907538.jpg

IMG_4041copy_zps696bbcc4.jpg

This proprietary furniture was smaller than the commercial furniture they had been using on their Leman rifles, so Bluejacket changed the lines of the butt stock and slimmed down the rifle. The changes can be seen in the pictures of the early and later Leman Trade Rifles at the beginning of this thread.

His next project was to design a full stock Leman rifle. One of the Lemans in Doc’s collection was a short barreled full stock. As an aside, this rifle was stolen in 1976 along with some other antiques and some new rifles. This notice about the theft was published in August 76 issue of Buckskin Report.

StolenGRRWriflesAug76BuckskinReport.jpg

Bluejacket built a prototype Leman Indian Rifle patterned after the antique Leman with the 30” barrel. The prototype rifle was demonstrated at the 1974 NAPR Rendezvous and proved to be a big hit.

74_10BRLHelmsandGRobertswithGRRWLemanIndianRifle_zps640982db.jpg

74_10BRJohnBairdwithGRRWLemanIndianRifle_zps6df0cef0.jpg

74_10BRLHelmswithGRRWLemanIndianRifle_zps6afd2c9e.jpg

This next picture shows Doc pointing to the prototype in the GRRW show room.

GRRWDocRrifles1975_zps7ca5f59a.gif

Doc did not intend for the prototype to be sold, but a customer walked into the shop one day and wanted it. The cash strapped company needed the money, and unknown to Doc, the rifle was sold.

Bluejacket’s prototype rifle recently resurfaced in Vernal, Utah and is pictured below.

GRRW-Indian-Trade-1FullRigh_zps959d2009.gif

GRRW-Indian-Trade-1FullLeft_zps247574f3.gif

The stolen guns were never recovered, but the short barrel, antique Leman probably looked something like this one.

GRRWlikeOriginalLemanfullstock_crop_zpsbb6f44f8.jpg

Here is a sample of a production Leman Indian Rifle. The adjustable rear sight is probably after market.

aae-801_1.jpg

Below are a couple of pictures I took of Dave Jackson’s rifle. It was finished August 20, 1980, just one month before GRRW went out of business.

IMG_3764_crop_zps77748e15.jpg

IMG_3765_crop_zps99383f00.jpg

The percussion lock used on Leman Indian Rifles was generally Siler’s Mountain lock. Flintlocks were offered as an extra cost option, and they were either Siler’s large flintlock or Ron Long’s flint Hawken lock.

GRRW likely sold more Leman Indian Rifles in kit form than factory finished rifles as they were heavily advertised and less expensive ($250 for a kit versus $550 for a factory rifle in 1979). In addition, there could be up to a two year delivery schedule for a factory finished full stock Leman.

Here is a Leman Indian Rifle that made its way across the pond and is presently in England. It was built from a kit.

0_0_0_0_99_74_csupload_60070611_large_zps96aa67db.jpg

0_0_0_0_160_120_csupload_60070521_large_zps5f879019.jpg

Most Leman kits in the later years were sold fully shaped and inlet, but they also offered a custom kit that only had the stock rough shaped from lock panels to butt and square in the forearm with no inlets. This rifle was obviously built from one of the custom kits by an unknown professional builder as the butt stock is shaped more like a Lehigh Valley rifle. The barrel is also an inch longer than on the standard kit. The lock is one of Ron Long’s flintlocks.

IMG_2590_crop_zpsc2ce66fa.jpg

IMG_2586_crop_zps6c905eaf.jpg

I purchased one of the standard, fully shaped and inlet kits and assembled it in 1979. This was my first GRRW rifle, and you will notice that I left too much wood in the panels around the lock.

Leman_fullstock.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

Hope you find this latest post of interest.

Phil Meek

Had a chance to buy one of the GRRW Lemans several years ago and snapped it up. Great gun and one I will pass down to the grandsons when the day comes.

Here's mine. I built it from a kit in 1974, SN 571, .50 cal. Has the Kern lock. I still have their brochure from that time. This was my second muzzleloader. First was an H&A Minuteman flintlock kit.

SR James said:
Here's mine. I built it from a kit in 1974, SN 571, .50 cal. Has the Kern lock. I still have their brochure from that time. This was my second muzzleloader. First was an H&A Minuteman flintlock kit.
I like the looks of your Leman, SR James. I bet those are honest wear patterns on the wrist and forearm instead of the faux aging you see on a lot of new builds these days. The tacks and patina on the brass parts look good, too. That's a rifle with some character and history.

Back in the early 70's, GRRW offered their Leman and Hawken half stock rifles in three forms. One was a factory finished rifle. The second was a semi-finished or in-the-white kit rifle, and third, was a standard kit with partially shaped stock and all the machining work done on the barrel, i.e. breech, rib, and thimbles installed and dovetails cut. The rest of the parts were as cast and needed filing, sanding, and polishing.

The factory finished rifles and the semi-finished kit rifles were serial numbered, but the standard kit wasn't.

I'm assuming with a SN of 571, your rifle was a semi-finished kit.

Thanks for the kind words. It's been a great rifle. My only "druther" is that I wished I'd gotten it in .54 as that caliber has become my favorite over the years.
I'm mainly a flintlock shooter but I also have a fondness for plains rifles. Over the years I've managed to acquire Hawken replicas by Sharon, Ozark Mtn. Arms, Pedersoli (Rocky Mtn), Uberti (from a kit) and Western (Allen) Arms Santa Fe. I've also built one from an old orphaned Golden Age Arms parts set and a Don Stith parts set. Still looking for a GRRW Hawken.

Mtn. Meek said:
IMG_0109.jpg

Hope you find this latest post of interest.

Phil Meek

I have a set of Leman full stock plans from ToTW on my bench, and I'm entertaining the choice of caliber, and iron or brass. Probably iron all around. Yours is a very nice example without a lot of extra stuff on board.

Thanks for the picture :)

"The percussion lock used on Leman Indian Rifles was generally Siler’s Mountain lock. Flintlocks were offered as an extra cost option, and they were either Siler’s large flintlock or Ron Long’s flint Hawken lock...." Mtn Meek (bold & underline added)

I have been searching for my records of an Indian Rifle I purchased in Lafayette, IN around 1977. It was from a kit by a local maker. 54 cal Flint... The frizzen broke & GRRW sent me to Pete Allen for a replacement part.

greybeard50 said:
I have been searching for my records of an Indian Rifle I purchased in Lafayette, IN around 1977. It was from a kit by a local maker. 54 cal Flint... The frizzen broke & GRRW sent me to Pete Allen for a replacement part.
That is possible, greybeard.

Pete Allen used to, and as far as I know, still is operating a foundry and casting muzzleloader parts for a number of firms and individuals. Whichever lock was on your rifle, Pete Allen may have been casting the parts for it.

It is also possible that your rifle had a different lock than the two I mentioned. A constant problem for GRRW was sourcing component parts in the quantity that they needed. One of the old GRRW crew told me that he had picked up some L&R locks at an event when L&R first started up. He brought them in to the shop one day to show the other employees, and Greg Roberts asked him if the company could buy a couple as they were short on locks. So you may find one or two GRRW rifles with an L&R lock.

There may have been other times that the company substituted a different lock than what they normally used on a certain model due to supply problems or at a customer's request.

Looking through some of the old TOTW catalogs I have from the 1980's, I see they offered percussion Hawken, Leman, and English locks by Pete Allen. I don't know if he was making these locks when GRRW was in operation, though. Also, I don't know if he made any flintlocks.

SR James said:

Our experience parallels. My first muzzleloading rifle was an H & A half stock rifle and my second one was exactly what you have pictured except mine is in .54 cal.

Back